Minxy's Growing Diary

Members adventures in the Vegetable Patch all year round
Minxy
Lively Laner

Minxy's Growing Diary

Post by Minxy »

Hello!

I took on my main plot mid-June 2015. It was extremely overgrown as the previous owner was an elderly chap who had been ill for a very long time. Initially, I had to dig out a number of self-seeded Ash tree saplings and generally just get the site cleared. I don't mind saying that it was back-breaking work and took me the rest of the season. But by the Autumn, I had cleared the main bit (about three quarters of the plot) and was able to have two raised beds put in. The 'before' photographs:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/148378394 ... res/r31C44

My husband knocked up the raised beds for me from decking. Wickes had an offer on at the time and he reckoned they ended up costing £15 each to make. It started a stampede down to Wickes with some of our allotment friends! Each one is 3.5 metres long and 1.5 metres wide. I didn't want to make them any wider as it would make planting a challenge. I was able to save an established rhubarb (albeit I moved it) and get some winter cabbages in (the section under netting). Also had 'someone' taking a keen interest in my activity (see photos)!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/148378394 ... res/x1xw32

There's a lovely established black cherry tree on the plot but it was way too high and in need of pruning. So I sent my husband up it with a saw and told him which branches to cut off. It looked lovely when the blossom came out. :) That whole back section is filled with roses, two plum trees, red and blackcurrant as well as raspberries. But mostly, I only had time to keep the grass down at that end as I was still working on the main area.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/148378394 ... res/412o87

So, I carried on with the back-breaking work of clearing the area, section by section. My other half then knocked up some more raised beds for me. Managed to get a total of eight in eventually. I can't begin to tell you how pleased, and relieved, I was when it was finally finished!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/148378394 ... res/oLT8wz

I went a bit nuts with the planting last year. I wanted to try as many different things as I could because I knew that I would not be able to do so this year. I ended up with a LOT! All good fun though. I was particularly happy with my sweetcorn, runner beans and 10-12ft high 'day of the triffids' type sunflowers! :)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/148378394 ... res/p580d0
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Minxy's Growing Diary

Post by Mo »

What a transformation. And such hard work.
One of those pictures reminded me of my garden :oops: (I tell myself it's good for wildlife)
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Minxy
Lively Laner

Post by Minxy »

Yes, it was a lot of work. The plot is far bigger than I thought it was! Haha...that's what I tell myself about the cherry tree area! Sadly, most of it will have to be covered over for this season as I won't have the time for much this year, due to other commitments.

I've just been over there and had to lock my birds in as we've some storm winds resulting in some flying compost bins and someone's shed!
Minxy
Lively Laner

Post by Minxy »

This post is really for those who are thinking about keeping an allotment. I don't know everything (nobody does) and there are certainly some extremely qualified plotholders on here who can always offer their suggestions. But I just felt that after starting my diary the way I did (and I did have an extremely overgrown plot), it was worth mentioning a few things, as I would not wish to put you off the idea. So here are five reasons why it is a good idea.

1. I am a bit of nutter who gets hell bent on projects and project management (part of my past work experience). I also have had the time available to do so.

2. That said, my plot is large. Half plots are available and you can always share one with a like-minded friend.

3. Health. There is a lot to be said for being outside and in the fresh air. It is amazing how many calories you can burn off without even noticing.

4. Taste. We've grown too far away from our food production and the land. There is such an amazing choice out there of things that can be grown, most of which you will never see in a supermarket. The produce is fresh, full of vitamins and so very tasty.

5. Social. Gardening should always be fun and will always be a learning curve, which is also part of the fun. One of the benefits of having a plot is the social life. We had an afternoon tea in the sun last year as well as Christmas drinks. I think we're planning a BBQ this year. People from all walks of life and of all ages are into this now. Younger children are looked after by the older children - wheelbarrow races spring to mind. Most allotment holders are just there to enjoy the respite and zen atmosphere.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Wow - what a transformation!!! Your photo's are great. That must have been so much hard work. You have an amazing plot and have achieved so much. Enjoyed reading your entries and especially your pictures.
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

Hi Minxy
You have done a brilliant job on your plot, congratulations!! As you say its hard work but worth the effort when you taste that first root of potatoes with loads of butter! or the first Asparagus spear which often is only one & has to be shared! We've grown away from knowing where food comes from because we can go to the supermarket & buy everything all year round but then people expect taste in a strawberry bought in December!! I like it when people eat your veg & often comment that it tastes like it used to years ago which shows commercially growing food has compromised taste over quantity.People just have to realise that an allotment is hard work & you can't just put an hour in here & there as some folks on our plot think! I like your comment about it being a social thing, when you've got an hour to get something done & someone comes to talk to you that's not social,they are getting in my way!!!!!!! But then you can get them back when you've got more time by going & chatting to them!!
Keep up the good work & I'll enjoy reading your progress.