How does your garden grow?

Members adventures in the Vegetable Patch all year round
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Re: How does your garden grow?

Post by Spreckly »

What a beautiful few days. Today I have a Magnolia Susan beginning to flower, plus my white stellata. I have a pink stellata, but that is not out yet. Self seeded violets grow in cracks in the concrete and on the gravel, they are now flowering. Under the hedge I still have daffs and narcissi, and hyacinths, the latter bloomed inside over several years, and then transferred to the garden. I have tulips flowering and aubretia. Colour has returned!

My three bramble plants are still not planted in their permanent homes. One is in the cold frame, and the other two sheltering near the greenhouse.

I am hoping that my youngest son will be able to cut my grass this weekend, it is growing rapidly, but not evenly.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

My Czar plum has a lot of suckers around the base from the rootstock. They have been in flower for several days. Today I noticed the proper branches were also out. Must go down into the jungle and see if the damsons are too.
I have got my first row of potatoes planted, a third of the bag. I'll have to look out for frost forecasts and keep earthing up once they come through. It was too hot to do much so I've been popping out, stripping off, doing a bit, coming in again, on with all the layers, have a rest, then repeat.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

There are insects in the garden - at least 5 sorts of butterfly - peacock, comma,orange-tip, brimstone and a little blue one (holly blue?). Plus hoverflies and a big bumblebee.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

We get lots of those little blue butterflies, Mo, have done for some years now. Not sure why here as the last house we were in, never saw any. We have also seen lots and lots of huge bees, Terry seems to think they are looking to make a home somewhere.
I was in the greenhouse yesterday for a few hours........melting...... but got a lot done, loads of seeds planted but still got more to put in and not sure if I should as the forecast is not too good.
I have ordered a load of daffs to put in the gravel, some came, but the bag had been ripped open and they are having to send the rest, but they were very quick sorting it out for me.
My aubretia is doing really well too, Spreckly. It seems to have spread like wildfire this last year, so very pleased with that.
It was so hot here that we have had a barbie and really enjoyed it. Think that is the first time we have had a barbie in March for a long time.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I sowed several sorts of seeds about ten days ago, and the lupin seedlings popped through during the week. I was amazed. Nothing else through yet.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Still gives me a thrill when things pop through.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Mo wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 20:19 Still gives me a thrill when things pop through.
Me too, Mo. Even bigger thrill from cuttings, in fact I am now going round looking for things I can take cuttings from.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I am still waiting to plant three bramble plants. We have a frost almost every morning for a couple of weeks, which has damaged a few shrubs. My seeds are sprouting in the greenhouse, hollyhocks, lupins etc.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I can't imagine anything would kill a bramble :-D Maybe harden them off in the daytime first. What I tend to do is split the risk - plant one out leave one in (leave half the washing on the line on a cloudy day). Then I'm bound to be wrong half the time - too early or too late.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Re brambles, that is a good idea Mo. I bit the bullet yesterday and planted them out, plus several seedlings. Not sown my wild flower seeds yet. A squirrel, one of a family who live in the big trees nearby, has deposited several nut shells, which I cannot recognise in the veggie plot, so I have covered the seedlings with old freezer baskets.

Today I have hung two hanging baskets out, which can come inside if there is a frost warning.

The recent frosts have made a mess of my Magnolia Susan, turning the flowers a miserable brown, normally they last for weeks.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Spreckly wrote: 11 May 2021, 11:19 Not sown my wild flower seeds yet.
neither have I. I had planned to scatter seeds in the fruit tree beds this morning while it was dry as heavy rain was expected this afternoon as well as showers for the rest of the week with mild temperatures BUT }hairout{ I spent the morning trying to log into my works laptop only to find I was locked out and spent most of the day on the phone to IT trying to get back online (wasn't straight forward at all and most of the work was done remotely by IT - weird seeing someone else in control of the mouse and keyboard) And now it's raining ....
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Gwenoakes wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 09:29
Mo wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 20:19 Still gives me a thrill when things pop through.
Me too, Mo. Even bigger thrill from cuttings, in fact I am now going round looking for things I can take cuttings from.
Jim was a great one for propagating from cuttings and layers. The garden is full of lots of the same things.
Plus a lot that have self seeded like hazel and berberis, and I'm too soft to pull them up.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

A month since I posted here. I finished planting the spuds, then a few days ago one of the trenches was full of water - thought we'd dried out but that didn't last.
Now weeding the bean patch. Some seeds in pots in the airing cupboard, and I popped a few in the ground yesterday - on my half and half see which wins principle.
My daughter asked me yesterday if I was doing anything with the long poles leaning against the porch (saved from cutting shrubs). She'd been watching a gardening programme with Emily and they fancied making a wigwam to grow sweet peas up. So after she'd claimed all the long ones she said that she'd ordered too many sweet pea plugs, did I want some. So I've been cutting down a dead broom and rummaging in the pile of hedge cuttings to find some more long poles!! Will need to do more weeding though.
I had a couple of self seeded broom plants on the veg patch. Enjoyed the flowers but now dead. Managed to dig one up, lopped through the sideways roots and waggled it about until it came out. The other is underplanted with nettles, so I'm pulling those and throwing them into the field for the ponies.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

The pear blossom was good, now the apples are at their best, even the Worcester is out. It is one of the earliest to fruit but latest to flower, one year I wondered if it was dead it was so far behind all the others.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

My flooded potato trench had dried out but this morning both it and the bean patch were flooded again.
The spuds in the first two trenches are shooting up, I raked a bit of soil round the stems to start the earthing up. The ones in the last trench are showing, even one in the wettest end - hope it survives.
Didn't have the energy to do much after all the bending to sort the cat flap.