Madmums growing attempts

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
madmum
Legendary Laner

Madmums growing attempts

Post by madmum »

Ok so i was inspired enough last year by our small achievments to grow some more this year )t' Since we only have a couple of raised beds and pots to grow things in i am determined to be more organised and only grow what we like and grow enough salad to have more than one plate/week.This year i can put up some pics which will help.I, like Richard ,tried the three sisters last year.The sweetcorn was fab but i think my watering was too erratic and some did not ripen(chooks loved them though!!) The beans were pathetic ,they had no where near enough light cos the corgettes took over.They were great so shall plant them again!!!!!!I treated myself to a new veggie growing book so will be trying it out for sure.Can't wait to join in )c(
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Re: Madmums growing attempts

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Good luck :-D I need to get out and do some serious clearing in our veggie patch, funny how the chooks don't clear the weeds lol
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Good for you MM )t'

I'm hoping to do more and a bit better this year too - especially with my sweetcorn!! {rofwl}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Kaeta44
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kaeta44 »

I've promised myself that I won't grow tomatoes this year. Every year I grow them - have no idea why because I eat very few - not a tomato fan! >coc<
Mucky Cluckers – Tales from the chicken run. "An hilarious read" "Cried with laughter" "A really good read, I couldn't put it down". Buy this paperback from www.muckycluckers.co.uk

I'm Trish Colton on FB DTL
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

I am like that with cucumbers !!!!Hate them not going to grow them!!!!I do love tomatoes though and want to try some yellow ones and some other colours.I dont have anywhere under cover though so they will have to be outside later in the year!!!!Am not going to bother with potatos this year as we can never grow enough to keep up with our needs so am going to go for other things like aubergines and things that will go in mediteranean cooking ,now hubbs' outdoor oven is in use!!!!! )t'
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

I did really well with my toms and cucumbers this year, love them both :-D

Good for you MM going to try the aubergines, you're giving me ideas :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Have ordered some of my seeds )t' Aubergines,butternut squash,patty pans,round corgettes,peas,lettuce,rocket,purple carrots and tumbling tomatos for hanging baskets.Will buy sweetcorn,spring onions, chilli peppers and any others later )t'
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Has anyone any recomendations for chard?,types they like etc i fancy growing some with the onions and leeks )t'
perchy

Post by perchy »

Sounds like you are going to be busy, pics please {hug}
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

I think i might have to wait for the rain to stop before i take some of the raised beds etc )j; I am a fair weather gardener :oops:
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

My seeds so far.......All i have to do is get some compost into the propagators and get them planted!!!!!!!
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Ok so today i have promised myself that when i have hoovered upstairs i will dig out the propagators from my mothers (redundant!!)greenhouse and wash them down to put my seeds in in the utility room.I think it will be light enough and warm enough in there,I just have to stop the cat from diving in there while i am ironing!!!
I managed to get some modular seed trays from a "pound"shop near us to put in the propagators so each plant can grow its own root system and to hopefully make transplanting easier when the time comes.Can anyone suggest a frugal way to label seeds?I know some use lolly stick but i dont have any!
I am off to read my veggie book!!!!!
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I cut up plastic bottles & write on them with a marker pen. Juice cartons or similar work well too :-D
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

That's what I do too LBF - think I may have learn't your tip from here )t' :-D
Bev x

madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Thanx LBF and Bev...... )t' Juice cartons i have plenty of!!!!! Aubergines and peas are tucked up in propagators warming in the sun!!!!!