Bridget's Mum's Fabulous Flock

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Re: Bridget's Mum's Fabulous Flock

Post by Bridgets Mum »

[quote="aceface"] lovely pic of the run roof by the way i have some pics like that {rofwl} i
Perhaps we could start a new section on the forum - chicken coop roofs! {rofwl}

Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

aishakali wrote:Pearl is beautiful {hug} I miss Boots, my lap sitter, haven't got one now {cry} You are so lucky having a knee warmer. How old is Pearl? Just love her floppy bonnet :-D

Lap sitters are special aren't they? I'm lucky to have Pearl who will sit forever, and Titch, who hops up, sits down, stands up, looks around, sits, stands and then hops off. The idea of not having a girl on my knee is very sad and I feel for you with your loss of Boots.
Pearl escaped her cage in September 2011 so I suppose she is 3 and a bit. She's finally given up laying so I hope she's now set for a long retirement. She's only just acquired the floppy bonnet - is that significant?
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

Lovely Evening
After a bit of rain it turned into a lovely evening and the girls enjoyed several hours out to play. After I'd finished my jobs I made a coffee and sat in the chicken patch. First I was joined by Pearl....

Then by Titch.....

Olga made her stately way over to see what was happening. She's my biggest and heaviest hen

Closely followed by newbie leader Jenny Jones. She's built like a whippet and whizzes between the two flocks at great speed. An ambassador maybe?

The rest of the new girls concentrated on bug hunting and scratching down the muck heap I'd just spent half an hour squaring off

Then my four oldies tried a spot of synchronised grazing.

After this I returned to digging, helped by all the newbies but particularly Coral who sat squarely on every forkful of earth and actually had to be shaken off each time. I tried really hard to get a photo but digging while not impaling a chicken took all my resources!

5 eggs again and if not total harmony in the run, at least there is no blood. It's getting better although I was cross with the chicken this morning who ran over to a dozing Pearl and rudely awakened her with a big peck. It took Pearl all of 30 seconds to get over it but I'm still muttering!
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Lovely pics :-D Your girls look in their element )t'
LYN
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I love the synchronised feeding {rofwl} Olga looks like she would fit the role of a Bond villain as a masseur, she is lovely. I have got them together at last though seperated tonight, I gave them a stern talking to to get on with it
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

sandy wrote: Olga looks like she would fit the role of a Bond villain as a masseur, she is lovely. I have got them together at last though seperated tonight, I gave them a stern talking to to get on with it

{rofwl} I told her what you said Sandy. She took it as a compliment!
Well done on getting your girls together. It's a nerve wracking business. I've done a lot of {warn} but it is getting better.

My happy news tonight is............

Rosy Cheeks
My new girls all had the traditional grey faces of girls from an intensive farm although their combs weren't as poor as my first battie girls. 5 of my newbies still have rather grey faces, but look at Portia!

Still a way to go on her complexion but a bit of Olay and she'll be fine.
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

they are great pics Bm )t' looks like they are having a whale of a time and so helpful too arent they >dum<
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Portia is a lovey )t' Have you noticed their eyes get brighter too? Portia is very elegant so she can be a Bond girl )t'
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
magic girl
Learner Laner

Post by magic girl »

its lovely seeing your ex-batts thriving i often read about ex-batts becoming ill and passing away soon after they are rescued {cry} they have had such terrible lives before rescue its lovely when i see then running about enjoying themselves
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

sandy wrote:Portia is a lovey )t' Have you noticed their eyes get brighter too? Portia is very elegant so she can be a Bond girl )t'

Oooooh, she liked that idea!. Been preening ever since!

magic girl wrote:its lovely seeing your ex-batts thriving i often read about ex-batts becoming ill and passing away soon after they are rescued {cry} they have had such terrible lives before rescue its lovely when i see then running about enjoying themselves

My ex-batts have been very healthy even though they were in very poor condition when they arrived in September 2011. I did lose one earlier this year but she was full of life right up until a few days before she died. They've been brilliant. The new ex colony ladies have started well too - I've had them just over a month and they're bursting with energy.

My two flocks are at last becoming something resembling one, although the old girls do tend to stick together. Nemo (new girl) joined the oldies in their coop just for one night last week and Titch (one of the originals) contemplated sleeping in one of the new girls' nest boxes last night, but changed her mind on the last minute and went to her own coop.

Today the originals did a lot of sunbathing

and at one point were joined by new girl Torah (front right)

The new girls are also coming to call much more reliably now which means they get to go out whenever there is someone around for an hour or so.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

It's lovely to see your new girls and old girls starting to mix BM, your new girls are coming on really well with your TLC {hug}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

its lovely when the flocks begin to mingle and i love torahs name its very pretty just like her {hug}
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

They look lovely healthy hens, a credit to you :-D
LYN
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

I think I can finally say, at last, that I have one totally integrated flock. Such a relief! Just in time for them all to be confined together while they are wormed. They're fed up being stuck in their run with no treats but their sentence is up on Tuesday so we're half way there.
Poor Coral isn't feeling great though. I'm not sure if she's having egg trouble or has an infection but she's been up and down for several days and is now the only girl without a lovely red comb and bright face. She has laid some dodgy shelled eggs on and off since she arrived so its probably egg related. She's had both oxytocin and antibiotics today so we'll see what tomorrow brings.
A while ago we had a cat (Morse) whose litter box was covered by a pretend willow basket thingie with a chicken sized pop hole. My original hens found it a great nesting box and when the new girls arrived I relocated it in the run so that the old girls could still access it. My granddaughters call it 'Morse's shed'. Poorly Coral has now adopted it for her own - she comes out, sits in other various areas, has a small amount to eat and drink, then returns to her 'shed'. At least she's got somewhere where nobody bothers her but is still in the flock. Really, really hope she's better tomorrow. She didn't enjoy visiting the vet and I don't want her to have to go again.
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

We're bored!
Poor chickens are fed up with being confined to their treatless run while they're having their flub. Roll on Wednesday evening when they can all go out to play. They're making do with a spot of dustbathing to pass the time.

Poor little Coral, my featherweight chicken, is looking a bit better. She still hasn't laid but as her health is improving I'm wondering if it was an infection rather than egg trouble. I had to separate her from the others a couple of days ago - they had turned into a vicious attack pack and had her pinned to the floor while they all piled in. Little horrors. I'm hoping that she'll be well enough to free range with the others on Wednesday, then all sleep together and hopefully all be friends in the morning.

Here's bored Titch hoping that the camera is containing something delicious.