Water Kefir Grains

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
pepi
Longlasting Laner

Water Kefir Grains

Post by pepi »

Ive recently starting using Water Kefir Grains.
Basically its a yeast/bacteria which one uses to produce a non-dairy PROBIOTIC drink - very high in Vitamin B's also.
Given the poor quality of our modern-day food - with the addition of additives, preservatives, fertilizers and insecticides - I reckon our digestive systems need all the help we can give them and Water Kefir really sound like a good option/solution
I had never heard about Kefir, and include below some information, but you can Google it for more details. Kefir has been in use for thousands of years, so it very well documented/known.

Have any of your Laners used Water Kefir? Id be interested in hearing about it...

***more info if you're interested***

> Water kefir is a fantastic pro-biotic drink that has many health benefits due to the bacteria that will keep you healthy. Water kefir is loaded with vitamins, minerals and enzymes. It is even suitable for diabetics. It is good for arthritis, skin, migraines, muscles, heart, liver, nerves, eyes, lungs, kidneys and blood. It is known as a great aid for digestion and overall health.
> It could be great solution for people who do not wish to consume dairy products as water kefir provides the living pro-biotics.
>
>
> And drinking Water Kefir is a good way to keep our digestive health in balance.
> Restore your inner health and strengthen your immune system. When the body is out of balance, the unfriendly opportunistic guys take over – producing headaches, flu, skin rashes, food allergies, and other more serious disorders.
>
> What you’ll need
>
> 1-2 spoons of water kefir grains
> 1/2 cup cane sugar (can also be refined white sugar, raw sugar, brown sugar, sugar cane juice or even muscavado)
> 6 raisins, sultanas, dried prunes or any other fruit)
> half a lemon
> 1-1.5 liter mineral water
> 2 liter glass container
> cloth or lid for container
> plastic sieve
> plastic spoon
>
> Steps
>
> Dissolve sugar in mineral water.
> In the container, pour in mineral water and add the sugar. Dissolve sugar using plastic spoon.
> Add kefir grains, raisins and lemon.
> Cover the container with a cloth or lid. Make sure it is not air-tight.
> Place away from sunlight and leave at room temperature of 18oC – 25oC (65oF – 77oF).
> Let ferment for 24, 48 or 72 hours.
>
> Strain and separate kefir grains and everything else.
> Using the plastic sieve separate the kefir grains from the raisins or fruits. Store the kefir grains for the next batch.
> Drink your water kefir.
>
> If you take care about them they can last for many years, growing up every week. You can share with someone else.
>
> Please read more about water kefir grains in the internet
>
> http://waterkefirgrains.com/
>
>
>
Steve valentine
Legendary Laner

Re: Water Kefir Grains

Post by Steve valentine »

The thing that makes me worry about its health benefits, it claims its good for diabetics but you need half a cup of sugar?
Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

As I understand it, the sugar is feeding the kefir grains - you drink the Kefir when it no longer tastes sweet. (I think)
I've got some kefir grains on the way )c( Have been wanting to try this for ages, but didn't get round to it until I saw Pepi's post yesterday.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
manda

Post by manda »

It's nice grown in coconut milk...there's other ways to flavour it as well which are good... http://www.culturesforhealth.com/ten-wa ... ater-kefir

Kefir and diabetes...some info The lady who uses it here had diabetes so might be worth having a read.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Thanks Manda :-D The flavouring suggestions look nice, I'm going to need some tricks up my sleeve if I'm to persuade dh to go along with this!
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
manda

Post by manda »

Appeal to his frugal side...you can grow probiotics and carry on replacing them ...a lot cheaper than yuckult )grin2(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

My Kefir grains arrived today, so we've started the process.
Here's what it looks like at the moment:

Water kefir - day 1 by LittleBrownFrog, on Flickr
Meredith
Longlasting Laner

Post by Meredith »

I have no experience of water kefir but I have been culturing my own milk kefir for around five years now. I love it. Fermented, ancient food stuff is so beneficial.
Sunny Clucker welcome in Barnsley.
pepi
Longlasting Laner

Post by pepi »

LittleBrownFrog how are you getting on with your Kefir?
The photo you posted, is obviously with brown sugar - have you tried anything else? Ive been experimenting, and quite like the white sugar version (but its more refined of course) and I leave it a bit longer now so that its fizzier. Ive tried adding ginger root, apricots, cranberries with the lemon instread of just always raisins. (doesnt make a huge difference)
Ive been giving the surplice grains to my hens (thanks Manda!) who gobble them up

My daughter has mutiny-ed and refuses to drink it any more (makes her feel ill she says) so must get her to try it added with fruit juice or something. I find the taste a bit pungent/fermented/not 100% to my taste, but hey, its healthy!

Oh and Ive reduced the sugar to a third of a cup/1 liter of water (from a half cup) and its multiplying away happily...

I must check out the MILK version, though I liked the Water Kefir because its dairy free...
Last edited by pepi on 30 Apr 2013, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.
pepi
Longlasting Laner

Post by pepi »

Meredith wrote:I have no experience of water kefir but I have been culturing my own milk kefir for around five years now. I love it. Fermented, ancient food stuff is so beneficial.

Meredith, have just been looking at MILK Kefir info - can you tell me: it says it an aquired taste - which probably means its disgusting?!? - can you tell me what it tastes like, and is it like yogourt or just a liquid?

Ive read that you grow the grains in raw milk - where do you get raw milk in this day and age (I was brought up on it, but arent there health issues involved now?)

It sounds good in that its just milk/kefir and no sugar (unlike the water kefir).
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Ours is going nicely - I've made a couple of smaller batches & now on to the first 2 litre batch (there are 6 of us here, so 1 litre doesn't go very far). So far we've just stuck to the standard method & used lemon, sultanas and brown sugar.
manda

Post by manda »

pepi wrote:
Meredith wrote:Meredith, have just been looking at MILK Kefir info - can you tell me: it says it an aquired taste - which probably means its disgusting?!? - can you tell me what it tastes like, and is it like yogurt or just a liquid?

They produce a probiotic yogurt like thing...it's very sour but you can always mix them with something a bit milder if it's too sour (a natural yogurt or greek yogurt).

pepi wrote:Ive read that you grow the grains in raw milk - where do you get raw milk in this day and age (I was brought up on it, but aren't there health issues involved now?)

I had a quick look around and this might be helpful...
http://www.naturalfoodfinder.co.uk/unpa ... aw-milk-uk

We only have raw milk...the argument for and against still goes on but as far as I'm concerned there were figures produced in the US that said Deli meats killed 1200 people in one year as opposed to raw milk...and deli meats are supposedly safe :? It's personal choice (well I think it should be)...so good luck whatever you decide.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

pepi
Longlasting Laner

Post by pepi »

I have no problem with raw milk (in our house when we were growing up, we had a GALLON (i.e EIGHT PINTS {rofwl} ) of raw milk every day - came from a man who delivered to the door, in the DIRTIEST van, he was really revolting, and I shudder now to think of the filthy utensils etc - but we were never sick, and it was pretty lovely creamy milk!!
For some reason I think I read/heard that farmers are not allowed to sell raw milk here??
manda

Post by manda »

{rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}

pepi wrote:For some reason I think I read/heard that farmers are not allowed to sell raw milk here??

They've got to be licensed Pepi...that link shows where the farms are in the UK )t'
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Meredith
Longlasting Laner

Post by Meredith »

pepi wrote:
Meredith wrote:I have no experience of water kefir but I have been culturing my own milk kefir for around five years now. I love it. Fermented, ancient food stuff is so beneficial.

Meredith, have just been looking at MILK Kefir info - can you tell me: it says it an aquired taste - which probably means its disgusting?!? - can you tell me what it tastes like, and is it like yogourt or just a liquid?

Ive read that you grow the grains in raw milk - where do you get raw milk in this day and age (I was brought up on it, but arent there health issues involved now?)

It sounds good in that its just milk/kefir and no sugar (unlike the water kefir).

It depends on what your definition of disgusting is................ I would say that tea or beer or blue cheese or anything that you are not accustomed to, it is pretty much repulsive. It is far more liquid than yohurt but it does depend on how long you leave it and the temperature of the room as to how it tastes. You can make it into smoothies, so disguising the taste. I am not really selling this well am I?

I drink it straight, first thing in the morning, 24 hours fermentation. My OH likes his mixed into a smoothie.

I grow my kefir in pasteurized whole goats milk in the main, I sometimes use raw milk and have grown it in 'normal' semi skimmed milk. It is very adaptable. I don't know what the regulations are in Ireland but whatever they are, don't let it put you off. Kefir.
Sunny Clucker welcome in Barnsley.