Lock your hens up

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Lock your hens up

Post by Skeksis »

Just seen some gorgeous baby foxes playing in my garden.... make sure ur hens are safe guys the cubs are only cat sized xx

tamk23
Legendary Laner

Re: Lock your hens up

Post by tamk23 »

My neighbour has just informed me that there is a fox visiting our gardens at the moment. I haven't seen it but the neighbour told me it's one of the biggest he has seen and it's been around every night this week.
Tammy xxx

Mum to two girls Violet and Iris and Hubby! 7 chickens, Easter, Bunny, Daisy, Tulip, Primrose, Buttercup, Snowdrop, 2 silkie chicks Teddy & Rainbow. 1 cat, Gromit. 2 gerbils cheese and onion, 2 guinea pigs Bangers & Mash and my Min Pin puppy Betty. RIP my little Casserole, Hotpot & Stew x Goodnight to my wonderful cat Chance and my wonderful dog Hamish xx
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

My sister lives in Nova Scotia Canada, she has to watch for Coyotes with her hens yike*
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Eeek ! That means the cubs will be playing outside in the field then >fi< >fi< >fi<
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
betty162
Lively Laner

Post by betty162 »

I have had an awful few days starting on Friday afternoon, one of my ex batts had been attacked by something, she had feathers missing, a limp and a single wound. I brought her in overnight, gave her baytrill up until yesterday, she was shellshocked, but much better yesterday. Also my two quail had disappeared which were in the stable, we thought it must have been a cat or small dog for the batty to escape, the next day poor Vivienne was taken and my blue hen...... We then knew it was a fox. I was woken by the dogs at two this morning and saw what I thought were fox cubs (about four of them) but I wasn't sure. We came home today,obviously we have kept the hens in apart from a special few which are allowed on our part of the garden. The fox has taken a guinea fowl and killed our four favourite little girls, including the ex batt who escaped the first time...... We were only gone three hours, it was broad daylight,it's in front of our door. I will have to dig a mass grave {cry} one of these hens was five and greatly loved. I don't blame the fox, it's hunting for its cubs. However, My hens can't free range at all now I'm scared it will take my little dog. Lock your girls in at present. I've learnt the hard way.
12 chickens,1 cockerel (del boy) used to be Delilah! 1 rabbit,2 g.pigs,2 dogs,2 children and 1 husband.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Oh Betty - what a horrible time you've had {hug}
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

how awful for you ,im so sorry you lost your little hens {cry}

sleep tight little girls
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

So sorry to hear your sad news {hug} {hug} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

I went to buy a couple of little ginger hens yesterday to replace one taken by a fox during the day. I was telling this to lady I buy our hens from, who lives in the middle of the countryside, and she told me that she doesn't get much trouble during the day as country foxes tend to hunt at night. Urban foxes, it seems, are a lot more confident round humans and will forage during daylight hours.
Michael
RuthieG
Lively Laner

Post by RuthieG »

Oh betty, how awful for you xxxx
https://www.facebook.com/1500Kilometers my 1500 km journey to a more healthy me!
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Sorry Betty - what a rotten series of events.

We're in the countryside and I don't see foxes very often. However, when we're in the garden we let out girls into "their" bit which is just surrounded by builders fencing. During the night before last something has chewed a great big hole in it. Fortunately, the girls have a secure run area and are locked in the Walk-in-Run at night.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.