I'm glad there's no such thing as a stupid question

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

I'm glad there's no such thing as a stupid question

Post by Kuikentje »

Do I put their grit in a little pot for them to peck at? Will they know that's what it's for? Otherwise, where do I put it - I can't mix it in with their pellets, so what do I do?
Life's too short to quarrel

LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Re: I'm glad there's no such thing as a stupid question

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

You can do whatever you like. I started out with it in a little pot, but now I just scatter a handful or so every now and again. They will take what they need.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

Thank you :)
Life's too short to quarrel
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

I mix it with their feed and they pick at it chuck it on the floor and pick at it again {rofwl}
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
RuthieG
Lively Laner

Post by RuthieG »

aceface wrote:I mix it with their feed and they pick at it chuck it on the floor and pick at it again {rofwl}

I'm glad mine aren't the only ones that do that! I do have it in a separate pot, but a couple of my girls have been having crop issues, so I've been trying to get them to have more grit, so have been putting it in some layers mash for them - I just end up with the grit all over the floor!
https://www.facebook.com/1500Kilometers my 1500 km journey to a more healthy me!
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

A year ago I made a temporary holder for grit from an old 2ltr milk bottle. You cut the front down to form a big cup and fasten the whole thing to the side of the run with cable ties. This has worked so well that it is still in use. The girls take what they want but some always gets shuffled out onto the floor as they look for the perfect piece to fit their needs. I just leave this and eventually most of it either gets taken up or cleared out when I do the flooring.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

I have mine in a small hopper attached to the side of the run and mine just help themselves when they need it. This has worked well for my big girls but I'm not sure my bantys have discovered it yet.