Naming Chickens

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Mulluc37
Lively Laner

Naming Chickens

Post by Mulluc37 »

Ok

So I have 6 chickens and 2 ducks, so far only one Chicken has a name. I am rubbish at naming animals, ( I have a dog called Wizz bang, so you see my problem). Does any one have any suggestions for naming the other 5 hens and the ducks? Any ideas greatly appreciated, I cant keep calling them ladies!!!!!!!
sharon. 1 very understanding OH, 5 kids, 1 English Bullmastiff, 1 Dogue de Bordeaux, 1 inherited Staffie Cross, 2 cats ,9 chickens, 1 cockerel 2 indian runner ducks, 3 Aylesbury Ducks and numerous fish.

wendy

Re: Naming Chickens

Post by wendy »

Mine are named after friends. Fortunately I have quite a few friends.
The only downside is when one dies and you say to another friend 'Brenda has died'. They nearly have fit, until you tell them it is 'chicken' Brenda. )grin2(
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Someone on here (can't remember who) named here's after the disney princess's which is nice for kids.
Mine are Pea & Ham (chosen by OH) and Dorcas & Daisy
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
tamk23
Legendary Laner

Post by tamk23 »

My first three were hotpot, casserole and stew then I let the kids decide names for the future ones! Easter and bunny for the chicks last year (yes we got them at easter!) and they choose flower names for the five chicks this year.
Tammy xxx

Mum to two girls Violet and Iris and Hubby! 7 chickens, Easter, Bunny, Daisy, Tulip, Primrose, Buttercup, Snowdrop, 2 silkie chicks Teddy & Rainbow. 1 cat, Gromit. 2 gerbils cheese and onion, 2 guinea pigs Bangers & Mash and my Min Pin puppy Betty. RIP my little Casserole, Hotpot & Stew x Goodnight to my wonderful cat Chance and my wonderful dog Hamish xx
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

How about characters from books.
I started with 2 Black Rocks and a White Star. So they were the Blacketts (Nancy and Peggy, from Swallows and Amazons) and Susan.
Another time I had 3 more Black Rocks and one was very Ginger, So they were The Outlaws - William (OK Wilhemina for best) Henrietta and Ginger (Douglas must have been on holiday).

Since my hens are all Black Rocks and I've been keeping them for 10 years they don't all get names now. The latest 4 are blackie1 & blackie2 and I'm not sure which is which, Silvie & Golda and I can only tell them apart together IYSWIM (one is paler).

Another question - do other long-term poultry keeper among us still name their hens?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Hens: Sage, Onion, Tandoori, Tikka, and Gloria!

Ducks: Daffy and Dave!! )t' )t'

)w(
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Post by HazellB »

Many of ours are named after their looks or quirks.
Spotty, Lopsided, Baldy, etc.
Some are after people they look like.
Heavy eyebrows on George (Clooney) for example, sideburns on Bradley (Wiggins), etc.

Oh, and Nasty ........ who bites {rofwl}
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)
chicks&cats
Legendary Laner

Post by chicks&cats »

HazellB wrote:Oh, and Nasty ........ who bites {rofwl}

{rofwl}

It took me ages to name mine too, you get to notice personality traits then which makes calling them easier (even if it's just greedy, happy, grumpy....!)
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

My 4yr old Grandaughter named 2 of mine, Sally and Rosie :-D I was very lucky she chose sensible names {hug}. Grandson Guy who's 2 wanted to name one Gordon >dowhat< (from Thomas the tank engine) luckily he forgot about it quickly.
Flower names seem to me to be apt for chooks and some are very pretty. Or what about precious stones.
LYN
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

From what I've observed it seems to be traditional to name them after older female family members, like your gran or aunties -don't quite know how this will work when the Kayleighs and Staceys are old enough to have hens & ducks named after them. And it probably doesn't take very long to run out of aunties.

Maybe, like cats, they bring their own names with them and what we have to do is find out what those names are.
Life's too short to quarrel
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

My first four were named after characters I the west wing. The next two were sold as silver Sussex so they were twobob and tanner. Last weeks new girls are tuffers and aggers. I love tms.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Mine are all named from grandmothers,great aunties and their friends. Exception being Amanda-Jayne who was named when I had her
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

My husband's friend wants to call mine Balti, Madras, Tikka, Korma and Vindaloo. >dum< {rofwl}
Life's too short to quarrel
beulah59
Longlasting Laner

Post by beulah59 »

The ex-batts are Milly, Molly and Mandy (The A Team) and Betsy, Babs, Bertha and Belle (The B Team), collectively known as The Vicarage Girls. The Pekins were Amy, Abigail, Alice, Annie, Agnes, Alberta and Amelia (aka The Moppets) – we have since lost one, but I never could tell which was which …
syman
Learner Laner

Post by syman »

Madras, Omelette and Quiche.
Though Madras is now known as Queenie, after Steve McQueen, as she keeps trying to escape :-D
Three brown rangers, Omlette, Quiche and McQueen