Greedy and grumpy puppy

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Greedy and grumpy puppy

Post by MissEllie »

Stella is doing great but she loves to scavenge for any foodstuff she can get hold of and if you try to take her 'find' off her she growls and occasionally snaps at us. We're telling her 'no' in a firm voice and removing the food but she keeps baring her teeth and I'm a bit worried in case she was to do this with one of the kids :?
Any advice on how to handle her grumpiness would be much appreciated.
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Re: Greedy and grumpy puppy

Post by bluebell »

Oooh, what a little tinker {warn}

I'm not qualified to give advice on this matter, but I do know it needs stopping sooner rather than later, as puppy needs to know you are the head honcho.

I'm sure Wendy will be along soon and I look forward to reading her reply. I'm sure you'll get this all sorted soon.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Thanks bluebell {hug}

I'm hoping Wendy is along soon too!
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

We were advised to hand-feed Comet - start him with an empty bowl, and to then add food a little at a time by hand while he was eating. I think the theory is to do with stopping him from 'guarding' which is what Stella is doing with her 'treasure'.
Comet mostly will give up whatever he has without a fuss now - not sure whether the hand-feeding helped or not. (and, he still steals things all the time lol - but is gradually learning 'leave it' and 'drop it')
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Little )de:
First make sure she is getting enough to eat.
The regime that LBF uses on Comet is very good to teach hands around the food bowl is good. So I would suggest you do that. But put half of the meal in and let her eat it. Then add the other half bit by bit.That way she thinks she has eaten her meal and you are adding more.Do that for a couple of days. Then half food in bowl and once eaten Pick the bowl up and add a little and down again until it is all eaten. After a couple of days half the food and once she has eaten the bowl Pick it up and add a little at a time while you are holding the bowl. You don't say she is naughty over the food bowl. But if she is. Put the bowl away and feed everything from your hand for 3 weeks. That should stop it.
Now what you do need is teach to exchange, they have a motto 'it is mine and you are not having it'
When she is chewing a toy go to her with a really tasty treat ie: a bit of cheddar cheese, chicken skin, liver....put it on her nose and hold the toy, with the question 'give' then as she does give her the treat. Once the treat is eaten, give her back the toy with the word 'take it'. Do this many times upping the value of the toy as time goes on. So she thinks this is a really good game. She gives you the toy, you give her the treat and then...she gets the toy back.
Most reason the get a bit ancy is because they have stolen something. The WHOLE family chase them around the house, then take away their prized article. It ends up they are not giving it back ! This is always good to train, exchanging, as one day years ahead they m ay find a cooked bone etc. someone has left for the foxes and if you try to get it off them, there is a great likelihood you will get bitten. If the dog has stolen tea towel, shoes, bags, toys, etc. etc. once this has been taught you should be able to calmly go to the dog tell her to give and give a treat or an object that is more preferable for them to have. PLEASE put things up out of their way. They are babies and everything goes into their mouths, like human babies. prevention is better than cure.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Thanks LBF and Wendy, that's great advice which i'll start using at her next meal. )t'

Wendy, She's on 3 meals a day and always clears her bowl but I'll give her a bit extra and see if that helps too.
Thanks again, having people on here who can offer sound advice is really appreciated )t'
Woody Allen
wendy

Post by wendy »

I only mentioned it. As you would be surprised the number of people coming to my puppy classes. Who are still feeding their 12 week old pup the same amount they did at 8 weeks. :? As they grow so does the amount of food they should consume.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

I've just weighed her (that was a laugh!) and it looks like we have been giving her a bit less than her weight dictates so thanks for mentioning it Wendy. {hug}

P.s. just for future readers reference - after numerous attempts at getting a lively 8kg, 15 week pup on the bathroom scales, weigh yourself without the dog, then holding the dog - much much easier! {rofwl}
Woody Allen