Rabbit advice

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Rabbit advice

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

My boys have decided that they would each like a rabbit. We've agreed, on the proviso that they need to research it & learn about their needs. So, they have their pile of library books, and I have my forum full of helpful, lovely animal lovers :-D

I had a quick look at hutches today while I was in Pests at Home, and have concluded that rabbit hutch manufacturers and chicken run manufacturers have the same rule book }hairout{ I didn't see anything that looked like sensible accommodation for even one rabbit.

The plan at the moment is to have a hutch and a moveable run, probably joining the run to the hutch via a tunnel, allowing the run to be moved around, and the hutch to stay where it is. We have various options for winter accommodation - greenhouse, outside loo with run attached on the patio, or conservatory.

Does this sound like a sensible set-up?
How much hutch space do they need to be happy?
...and how much run space?
Any other advice you'd like to offer?

Thanks in advance :-D
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Re: Rabbit advice

Post by rhubarb93 »

How about being the first Laner to commission your bunny house from our new member, plot45b?

Bunnies are good fun- I'm sure your boys will enjoy, and the responsibility is so good for kids.

Ours did wee a lot, and we found cleaning out was quicker and easier if we put a plastic tray lined with newspaper and sawdust, like a litter tray, where they did it - they are creatures of habit and will tend to use the same corner all the time.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

That's a good suggestion - thank you :-D
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Rabbits are great pets LBF. Ours have our old chicken run as their 'hutch' which gives them a fair amount of running around space.
Your ideas sound good, looking forward to hearing how you get on
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen