blithering shellsl!!!

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

blithering shellsl!!!

Post by bmpsands »

I want to make some pickled eggs for my MiL (aged 94). The thing is, I can never get the shells off the eggs cleanly and so they look a bit "shot at".

Anyone got any tips? I try to use older eggs (a week or so) but that doesn't seem to make much difference. What am I doing wrong?
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Re: blithering shellsl!!!

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Use old eggs & cool them quickly once they're boiled, then put them in the fridge overnight before trying to get the shells off. Usually, if you start at one of the ends, you find the air pocket & then the membrane comes off cleanly and easily.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
manda

Post by manda »

Once they've boiled try tapping the shells so they break...the cold water leaks in and helps the egg shrink away from the shell. Then once they're completed cooled I just roll them once to loosen the shell and peels off.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Right, some ideas to try. I got out a 11 day old egg that had been hardboiled and then in the fridge since yesterday. The shell came away really well, so I'm thinking that the age of the egg might be critical, since nothing else was different really. I suppose I forgot how old shop bought eggs can be and to me, now, 10 days old or more is ancient.

Thanks for the replies.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
tortzblue
Lively Laner

Post by tortzblue »

I also find that if you crack the hardboiled egg shell all over, then slide a tsp carefully under the shell, with the curve of the spoon bowl flat against the curve of the egg, this usually works too.
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

We love them to Bea and i always boil extra when doing some so the good ones i pickle and im afraid the tatty ones just get gobbled up straightaway. On toast or salad, in mayo or just gobbled on thier own it dosent matter cause you break them up anyway :-D
Also iv done eggs of different ages and sometimes the older ones peel worse than the newre ones, just do extra and have plenty of egg mayo sarnis or whatever )t'

Also iv been getting sweet pickled onions from house bargains and sasdas large oninsand then i pop the eggs in the left over vinegar. Only trouble is they hardly get chance to pickle in this house they are scooffed neary as fast as the girls can lay them {rofwl} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx