Anyone cook proper Indian food?

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Anyone cook proper Indian food?

Post by fabindia »

We cook loads. My daughter and I are vegetarians and Indian food is ideal,as much of India is vegetarian.

Home-made is so much better than takeaways. Downside is it can be very time consuming.
Michael
manda

Re: Anyone cook proper Indian food?

Post by manda »

We have a few recipes that we cook..one given to me by an indian gentleman which is delicious...bajji's, naan we will do ourselves ...well our version of them....not very knowledgable about the different cuisines of India but we'll try most things.

Pretty much we will have a go at making most things ...I love wandering around the www at dishes from all over the world....my favourite generally is Greek cuisine but I love Indian too :-D
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
wendy

Post by wendy »

Yes I do, we love Indian food. I have an old Madhur Jafrey cook book. Very dog eared. But much used.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

I use the cook in sauces, does that count ? :oops:
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

I too cook my own Indian meals as well as my own Chinese )t'
Latest thing I've just found,very quick and very very good. Got it from tesco.
Boil some bite sized chicken bits then make the sauce so it's nice and thick, put the chicken bits into the sauce,throw in some onion chunks,peas and carrot. It's just like the take away does it )t'
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I have cooked indian food from scratch, by grinding down my own spices etc and also use curry sauce from a jar. We are lucky that we have a good Asian shop near us that sells everything needed but the problem with doing it from scratch is that the spices need to be used fresh and I don't use them quickly enough. I quite often use the jar of sauce as base for the main protein of the dish and add to it if wanted. Bhajees. vegetables and savoury rice I make myself. I also make marinades for roasting meat or fish if I don't want a wet curry. I also make Indian chutneys as the shop bought are for me too sweet. I still get compliments, if I can blow my own trumpet.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

We do from scratches every now and then. We have a range of spices from the local Asian supermarkets and are working our way through Madhur Jaffry (for about the 40th time), Rick Stein and the Hairy B's - book club purchases.

I usually make a lot and freeze loads back. The veggie options freeze really well and respond to a quick pepping up with a bit of fresh coriander, squeeze of lime or lemon or something.

I love all the pfaffing dry frying, grinding, etc. We also try out different breads, flat or otherwise. They freeze quite well too!

We don't get through the spices very quickly either, though cheap kilner style jars is helping. But I still buy the larger packets and then split them down and sell them on at work in 30 - 50p portions. I think I usually make about a penny a packet profit :)
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Stef wrote: But I still buy the larger packets and then split them down and sell them on at work in 30 - 50p portions. I think I usually make about a penny a packet profit :)

That sounds a good idea, I'll have to try that myself -a sort of bulk spice buying club.
Michael
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Stef, where do you get the cheap kilner style jars from? I've been looking online for jars and bottles (for sloe gin to go in) but they all seem quite expensive
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

Just a thought can the spices be frozen to keep them fresh, I freeze coffee )t'
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

I got the cheap jars from The Rnge a while ago. Otherwise the Tan Tree (Du,nelm) is OK and we have a Home or something that sometimes carries them at a good price. I haven't found a cheaper online supplier yet!

And I haven't frozen whole or ground spice as the freezing seems to take off the high notes. That and what would the office do without the Spice Club? We've been going for about 8 years now!

HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

Ikea do a good range of jars and bottles, all sorts of sizes too. Cheap as well )t'
The only thing is, Ikea's are few and far between.
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

It's the hour's drive to our nearest Ik.ea that puts me off :?

I think I've only been in on once!

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I can't even think where my nearest IKEA is, but you never know when you'll stumble across one so thanks for the tip )t'

Got a Range and Dunelm nearby so I'll check them out. I've got some yummy sloe gin on the go at the mo so I'll be needing some decent small bottles soon.

Cheers
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

We have a programmer across from India working with us in our office. Having him round on Sunday so he and I can cook together.

Should be good fun, even if we have to get his mom on Skype for a few tips. )t'
Michael