Discuss relevant News,TV Programmes and any good reads
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Call the Midwife thread.

Post by Richard »

)t' )t' )t'

All yours

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Re: Call the Midwife thread.

Post by mrs boodles »

Such a good programme, believe three more series have been commissioned. It's good to see nurses in proper uniforms instead of scrubs as well'
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

yup I quite like the programme if the truth is to be known.
Bah Humbug
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I loved it, so good to see it back.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I cannot stand any programmes to do with nurses, midwives or nuns… so why do I absolutely LOVE this programme >coc<
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

This is such a good programme on so many levels )like(
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I spent six weeks in Sevenoaks Hospital at about the time this series is set (Gangrene on ankle / lower leg after being scalded by an exploding Scout Billy Can in Austria!!) and I remember how the Nurses had to have the ward absolutely squared up and tidied for when Matron came round every morning.
The Patients had to either be in their bed or sitting in army fashion beside the bed !!

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Shame I can't watch this programme, I loved the last series. They brought out the rule in September that a licence is needed to watch BBC iplayer, and I don't have one.

Sorry, a bit off topic, but I keep seeing this phrase cropping up, 'on so many levels'. What does it mean? Please put me out of my misery, as it doesn't make sense to me.

KathJ wrote:This is such a good programme on so many levels )like(

Ilona
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

When I was admitted for surgery in the early 1960's, we had quite a fierce state enrolled nurse on the female surgical ward and I was told in no uncertain terms to remove a few items from the top of my locker. We were woke up at six am, and given a bowl and told to have a wash.

Once over surgery, I started work at the same hospital. The sisters had a separate table in the dining hall, we were all most impressed by them, and Matron only acknowledged her own secretary. She was so very smart, and ruled the nurses with a rod of iron. Discipline was the key. The ward maids cleaned the brass knobs and plates on the ward doors several times a day.

I realise that the above relates to my first hospital employment, a far cry from the twenty first century.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

I trained 1972, things still very strict on the wards then. Still had a matron, sisters had there own dining room and sitting room. Doctors, well consultants were still Gods and everything stopped for their ward rounds.

I was so proud of my uniform from the first day I started training. No plastic aprons then just nice crisp starched aprons, gosh I could go on.
What I will say is that my hospital buckle and badge are two of my prized possessions.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Hi Meanqueen, when I said 'on so many levels' I mean you can just enjoy the programme for it's fashion/music etc and not involve yourself too deeply but there's always an underlying issue which makes you think a bit more and realize how far we've come in terms of medical care and knowledge!
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Oh, I see, thank you Kath. So if you don't quite get the storyline there's other things to keep you interested. . Thanks for explaining.
Ilona
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

What a final episode for end of the series this year, sadness, laughter and joy. What a wonderful series Call the Midwife is. Christmas special and new series 2018.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Sorry it has finished for the time being. This last series has been so lovely.