The Dinosaurs in my Back Garden

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
manda

Re: The Dinosaurs in my Back Garden

Post by manda »

I've changed the image address so hopefully you can see them now. >fi<
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

no
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
manda

Post by manda »

)gr:

OK I'm going to try again....
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
manda

Post by manda »

Now?
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Might just be by out-of-date computer.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

Sadly still can't see your piccies Manda {cry}
manda

Post by manda »

Richard !!! Can you have a look at the pics...I've put the link in and it's a sharing link from googgle+ ...doesn't want to play :?
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

Had a fantastic weekend. Got some serious gardening underway, including planting out some potatoes in tubs, sowing some chard, radish and lettuce under cloches in my veg trug and got down to some bed tidying and mulching. All the while the girls were out investigating every nook and cranny of the garden. No sooner had I mulched but the girls were 'unmulching' - scraping the mulch away looking for bugs. I hope I see a difference in the slug population this year.

Hamble and Florence are both laying 4-5 eggs per week. Matilda, who has only recently started laying, is laying one day, having two days off then laying again. Even so, hubby and I are already struggling to consume all the eggs are girls are providing. It means we have plenty to give to friends and family. Good to keep them sweet for when we need chicken-sitters :-D
Minxy
Lively Laner

Post by Minxy »

Wow, you have been productive! Haha...yes, the mulching help! Glad to hear the egg production is up. :)
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

Sweetcorn! The girls are now addicted to it. I hang up or throw in a cob and the three girls have it eaten in no time. Broccoli is still welcomed but sweetcorn - jings, they love it.

Girls getting out for 40 mins before I have to go to work. They explore the garden then wander round to the kitchen. They duck in and have a nibble of cat food then toddle back out to the garden again. Some of my hostas are peeking through the soil. I'm making little wire tubes to protect them from scratching and pecking. Methinks I have my work cut out.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh yes all the girls love a corn on the cob, and even tinned sweetcorn is good especially if you ever need to get any meds (powdered) down them. I grow sweetcorn and its mainly the girls who have it in the end, even though it is delicious for people too :-D

And as for your garden - well, they aren't even started yet. If there are parts of your garden you like, you'd better put some chicken proof fencing up, because they will eat it and dig it up. I've had to fence of all my veg patches due to unfortunate previous experiences! None of my lot - and this includes all my previous flocks - are great slug eaters which is a right pain, as they are SUPPOSED to be. They do love snails though, especially squashed ones or even just the shells broken up, and other insects apart from ants (again none of mine have been great ant eaters)

They have wrecked our garden, and ruined the patio, but I just love to see them pottering about all over the garden )t' Enjoy this weekend too
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

KarenE wrote:Oh yes all the girls love a corn on the cob, and even tinned sweetcorn is good especially if you ever need to get any meds (powdered) down them. I grow sweetcorn and its mainly the girls who have it in the end, even though it is delicious for people too :-D

And as for your garden - well, they aren't even started yet. If there are parts of your garden you like, you'd better put some chicken proof fencing up, because they will eat it and dig it up. I've had to fence of all my veg patches due to unfortunate previous experiences! None of my lot - and this includes all my previous flocks - are great slug eaters which is a right pain, as they are SUPPOSED to be. They do love snails though, especially squashed ones or even just the shells broken up, and other insects apart from ants (again none of mine have been great ant eaters)

They have wrecked our garden, and ruined the patio, but I just love to see them pottering about all over the garden )t' Enjoy this weekend too

Yes I can see already that I will have my work cut out keeping some semblance of nice garden whilst letting the girls free range in it when I'm around. I have been erecting all sorts of fences and other protection to hopefully save some areas. I'm not seeing too much slug eating action but I'm hoping they are digging up and eating the slug eggs. I love hostas and it is always a battle protecting them from slugs. I discovered last autumn however that the girls love hostas too - waaaahhhh!
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

When I cracked open an egg yesterday there was a small silver/grey sphere sittong on the yolk. Perfectly round. Anyone any idea what this is? Sorry, was going to take a photo but hubby inadvertently binned the evidence.
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

I didn't know they loved hostas! (because the slugs all got mine long before the chooks arrived)

Yeah - good luck with them keeping your slugs under control. Huh. That's what I thought. Miranda will eat small slugs, then spend forever wiping the horrible slime off her beak. Which is probably why none of my other chickens have ever been interested :-D

Sorry, no idea about the silvery disc. Very odd. Haven't had that one.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , probably been eating shell fish and making Pearls ....
new one on me.
Bob