Sewing machine

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
p.penn

Sewing machine

Post by p.penn »

Aaargh. My sewing machine had a meltdown at the weekend }hairout{ I was trying to put 8 buttonholes down the front of a dress, but it kept jamming and going over and over on the stitching. Then it did a couple, then chewed up again and I’ve made holes trying to remove the stitches. {cry} The only good thing is that it’s under guarantee.

So, on Sunday, a friend gave me an old machine which was his Mum’s. It looked awful, but as I cleaned it up, I fell completely in love with it! Very retro, like my dresses!! So after an afternoon of faffing, cleaning, reading the instructions and watching YouTube tutorials on how to thread it, I started it up and it didn’t work properly aaargh.

Anyway today, I have sent the first one back to be fixed under guarantee, and have dropped the other one off at a local sewing shop for an overhaul. I’m like a duck out of water without my machine, so fingers crossed!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Sewing machine

Post by Gwenoakes »

Did they say how long your machine would take to sort out, p.penn?
My Gran had an old Singer treadle machine and although I do not like sewing now I used to spend hours treadling away on it when I was a lot younger.
I don't know what happened it, but I loved the wrought iron at the sides of the treadle.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Hope you get sorted with the machines soon Helen. I've posted before that I use my Grandma's Singer, over one hundred years old. Does a better job than my late Mother in law's electric!
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

How frustrating when you want to get on with a planed job.
I have an electric machine as most people do but I remember with much affection my old treadle one that I had years ago. You seem to be able to have so much more control over the old machines and go at your own pace.
Hope both the machines are sorted soon Helen. Until then, plan your next project. )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Thank you :-D

I was offered a treadle in immaculate condition last year, but had to collect it from London within two days, so it didn’t happen :? Actually, I do still have an old hand singer, but I’m waiting for mine to come back to do the buttonholes. I’m hoping I should have both of them back in a week or so.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

An update on sewingmachinegate! {rofwl}

Modern machine came back, and was still jamming. Currently it’s with the menders in Wales again }hairout{

Retro machine was due back, so I rang to check, and they said they’d forgotten to give it to the repair man }hairout{ So it took another week. When I went to pay, I was told it had been paid for - the friend who gifted it to me, settled the bill as a surprise birthday present. Wasn’t that nice? Anyway got it back, and it was working. Rethreaded step by step with the instructions, (this machine is sooo different from any others I’ve used!) and it all jammed up again. Although I knew it was me, I left it for several days on the naughty step! Tried again, found a dial wasn’t quite engaged, and it’s doing nicely.

Yesterday afternoon was the icing on the cake when, after all these weeks, I was able to complete the buttonholes yaaaayyy!! When the dress is finished I will post a pic
Helen xx