No grass cutting for me all summer

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Sara

Re: No grass cutting for me all summer

Post by Sara »

He looks lovely Al. )t'

Shetlands are easy enought to keep, but they do like to get into trouble! :-D

Pm me if you need any questions answered. )t'
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Don't rely on him keeping your grass down. Shetlands can get very fat and need to be kept on a diet so you may need to divide the paddock up with electric fencing. Also laminitis is a huge risk with small ponies and also horses. It is caused by too much rich grass and can be a killer. Don't forget the poo picking is essential and ideally every day so that it keeps the grass fresh. A big don't is titbits as this can get them into biting.
wendy

Post by wendy »

I also know absolutely nothing about horses, the frighten the beejeesus out of me.
But I do think they are beautiful animals.
But what I do know is they cost a bit, even the littlies. I assume your friend has him insured or is that down to you ? The bigger the animal the bigger the vet bill !
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

AL37 wrote:IF and its a big IF I should decide to keep him then I will openly admit my reasons for it.

Is it because Shetlands make great companions for racehorses???????
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

{rofwl} {rofwl}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
manda

Post by manda »

Aww Al he is very cute.
Cost to keep him, providing you don't have vet bills wouldn't be that bad (and that's including having his feet trimmed), worming will be relatively cheap as one syringe of wormer will probably do him the year. Wouldn't eat much hay unless the grass runs out completely and even then probably only 1-2 bales per week max..... He will probably trash the lawn actually so that might be an issue :?
Has he got a rug?... mind you you have a bit of time to get one before next winter now.
You could make him a shelter ...there you go another pallet project for ya )grin2(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Well, Al there are plenty of horsey folk on here, so you will get some sound advice from here if any probs with pony.

Agree it is best to watch grass intake, little round ponies are prone to laminitis but at least one good thing don't need loads of hard feed as they are good doers.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/