Water vole questions

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Water vole questions

Post by HazellB »

About 12 years ago I bought a bare field, hundreds of yards from the nearest tree or hedge. It's got a large ditch ands road along one side, so I planted trees and hedges on the other sides, built some stables and it houses my horses perfectly.

At some point I hope I'll sort out planning and build a house on the land (it's just within a village's 30mph limit) but there's no rush.

Problem is that this afternoon as my partner and I drove onto the land along a lane over the ditch, I spotted a water vole type animal swimming about in the ditch. We paused and waited a while and it appeared again, but was in deep shadow so not exactly easy to identify.

It wasn't a rat, stoat or weasel (I see them often enough) yet there aren't any water voles in this area as far as we know.

So, what I'm asking is simple - will me telling the powers that be about my probable rare animal spoil any hope of building my house in the future, or should I just let the voles get on with it unprotected? If a farmer further along pours fertilizer in the ditch and kills them, it would be my fault if I kept my trap shut. On the other hand, the only place I can really build on is within 50 yards of the ditch, so would them being there stop planning permission?

Having spent years (and thousands of pounds) encouraging wildlife onto my once dead land, I'm wondering if it'll mess up my hope of living there myself! Stoats, toads, newts and allsorts have a home now, thanks to me .... and I'd quite like to share it one day :-D

Any advice, please?
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)
Maggie1

Re: Water vole questions

Post by Maggie1 »

It wasn't a mink was it. We have got loads here due to animal r....ts setting them free. They will kill chickens in a swoop.
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Post by HazellB »

Maggie1 wrote:It wasn't a mink was it.

Hadn't thought about mink.
Wasn't swimming fast, but could have been a mink having a steady nose about the area. Dark fur, fat looking body about large water vole sized ... but mink are very, very possible.

Hens are secure by night and there are my three dogs there most of the day with me, but I'll have a check for mink. Thanks!
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

If it is mink you can trap them but if you do you have to kill them