Bees

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
p.penn

Bees

Post by p.penn »

I have been cleaning the chooks run out today and went to the composter to put some goo in, and as I lifted the lid, lots of bees flew out. :shock:

There were still 3 or four in there - really odd as I only put grass in in a week or so back, and they just all seemed to be sitting on the top. >coc<

They flew away and I just left the ones that were still there. Is this usual?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Bees

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Maybe they were keeping warm.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
ock

Post by ock »

perhaps they are going to build a little nest thing in there )t' , yummy yummy sticky honey )eat( )eat( )eat(
[center]OCK LIKES TO PARTY !!!![/center]
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

You need Lenny's help Helen, he would know whats what . I'll give him a shout for you
LENNY bet he will be along any minute )t'
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

The ones that didn't fly out looked quite sleepy. :?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

A couple of years ago one of our neighbours found a complete bees 'nest' in a little used compost bin.. Luckily for the bees, she was as chuffed as we all were to have bees around so they were left to 'do their thing'....
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I have been thinking about this - could bee eggs have been in the grass I mowed last week - it was extremely long (1ft)
Helen xx

LENNY24124
Lively Laner

Post by LENNY24124 »

p.penn wrote:I have been cleaning the chooks run out today and went to the composter to put some goo in, and as I lifted the lid, lots of bees flew out. :shock:

There were still 3 or four in there - really odd as I only put grass in in a week or so back, and they just all seemed to be sitting on the top. >coc<

They flew away and I just left the ones that were still there. Is this usual?

You have had a swarm from a hive visit you .
They will make for compost bins as it is warm shelterd and if they are looking for a new home it is a good place to rest a while.
Sometimes when they leave the rest area your compost bin and have found a hive some bees get left behind .
They usualy leave very quickly and find a tree or a hive to live in. You will have a local Beekeeping association near you google them and if you are worried get someone to come out and move them thet will be more than happy to do it for no cost to you .
Lucky you wished they had visited me LENNY )c(
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Told you Helen, that Lenny would come on if I gave him a shout {rofwl}
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Thank you Lenny! I feel a bit mean now that I opened the lid, but I didn't know they were in there. I really like bees and love the idea that they rested a while in my garden. :-D
Helen xx