close and nearly personal with a sparrow hawk

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
saint-spoon

close and nearly personal with a sparrow hawk

Post by saint-spoon »

Could have posted this in predators but I don’t see them as pests so they are visitors… I got up close and nearly personal with a male sparrow hawk a little while ago. My elderly neighbour phoned to ask if there were many of them around and I had seen a fair few from a distance; anyway just across the garden fence there was this beautiful bird chowing down on a wood pigeon it had taken. From ammeter away you can truly appreciate their exquisite plumage. )t' and yes I did get a photo but I wont post it cos there is alot of claret on the paving slabs.
Bah Humbug
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: close and nearly personal with a sparrow hawk

Post by Gwenoakes »

They are indeed beautiful creatures SS when you get close enough. We get Kestrels, Buzzards, Barn Owls, Tawny Owls, Little Owls and Herons round here and each and every one is beautiful in its own way. I know what you mean about the 'claret' though, it looks awful, but each and every one of them needs to eat, so.......

The other year we had a Kestrel who had young in the big tree in one of the paddocks sitting not six feet away from a Pigeon on the post and rail fencing. Obviously it wasnt that hungry. LOL