Quail

Bantams, Turkeys, Pigs, Sheep and whatever
ThreeMuttleys
Learner Laner

Quail

Post by ThreeMuttleys »

Im so so tempted by these little birds in addition to Chooks (or bantams...actually, what is the difference between a bantam and a chicken?...may have to google that one) Does anyone here keep them?
Ive spent the weekend researching Quail, looking at housing options and its all so very confusing. Some seem to keep them in aviarys (which would rule them out for us, our garden is teeny) others in rabbit hutches, and Eglus.
Apart from looks, is there much difference between the breeds/types of Quail? Im looking to keep them for eggs and as pets (same as the chooks)
Im also confusing on feeding them, some sites advocate chick crumbs/mash, others recommend mixing your own feed
Also does any know of a good breeder of quail in Kent? i dont have incubator (and a very cold house) so deffo could not hatch our own.

Many thanks

Claire
newto
Longlasting Laner

Re: Quail

Post by newto »

I dont have any or know anyone that does.however some friends wants to get some. Apparently over here, they keep them in with the chickens........ they supposedly eat the chicken poop,thereby saving on cleaning time etc..
friends just waiting tilkl they can redo the chicken runs with smaller holed wire or other stuff so the quails dont escape!
Meredith
Longlasting Laner

Post by Meredith »

I keep quail, they are lovely little birds but very flighty and need to be kept in an enclosure with a roof. When startled, they have a tendency to jump straight up in the air so they need quite a bit of head room to stop them knocking themselves out. They are easy enough to keep, I feed mine chick crumbs plus a bit of budgie seed and fruit and veg. They are very productive, sometimes laying two eggs in a day during the summer. Mine haven't been laying at all since autumn but the last lot I had kept it up all year round.

I wouldn't recommend keeping them with chickens.
Sunny Clucker welcome in Barnsley.
Popalops
Lively Laner

Post by Popalops »

Quail are tiny and lay tiny eggs, I keep mine in a pen inside a large shed 20ft x 12ft alongside some bantam Silkies they eat virtually nothing, but do need to be kept clean, they just drop the eggs wherever so large hens would break the eggs,
Bantams are just wee versions of large fowl.
Tony
Great Spirit, help me never to judge another until I have walked in his moccasins.
Sioux Indian Prayer
Many Many chooks (too many to list)
1 Collie. 2 Jack Russell's. & My Lovely Wife ......
skinnypins
Learner Laner

Post by skinnypins »

Hi there!

I have never kept Quails but from my friends say so the info you have been given so far as to the nature of them and where to keep them is very accurate and good advice.

I do however know that a stockist I have used in the past for live young does quail, and I have always had good quality and healthy stock from these people.
They are callled TheArkBirdsandBees.co.uk and they are actually based in Kent.

Their homepage is very informative and has lots of adice re housing of different breeds of fowl and poultry, so you may find them helpful in making your decision.

Best wishes

Claire
sweetpea
Lively Laner

Post by sweetpea »

We were also looking at keeping a few quails,maybe in with the chickens :-D .We were wondering if the male makes a noise or not?We cant keep a male chicken because of the neighbours,would we have the same problem with quails?
bettysue
Lively Laner

Post by bettysue »

just got 6 quail at week end and they are in our spare coop with a bantam we got at same time. We've made a new top to the coop for day light and to keep rain out and they seem to have settled well
wendy

Post by wendy »

Mmm I also have thought about these. But have heard, as stated, they are flighty and I cannot have a roof on my run )gr: . I also heard their voice can be quite noisy. Is that so ?
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Meredith
Longlasting Laner

Post by Meredith »

wendy wrote:Mmm I also have thought about these. But have heard, as stated, they are flighty and I cannot have a roof on my run )gr: . I also heard their voice can be quite noisy. Is that so ?

They have a high pitched chirp, I wouldn't say it it was loud though. Certainly nothing on a hen that has just layed and egg, just different in pitch.
Sunny Clucker welcome in Barnsley.
bettysue
Lively Laner

Post by bettysue »

not noisy up to now and a friend of mine had some in her aviary said they where not that noisy compared to some other birds. they diffenately need containing though as they are very flighty. some thing similar to rabbit hutch and run would be ok
legbar
Learner Laner

Post by legbar »

we have had quails for a month or so now.brilliant birds,very funny to watch and not noisy at all really,less than a parrot without a doubt.dont try to keep with chickens like we tried though,we have two very young chickens about 12 weeks i would guess and the quails were playthings to chase after.
ours are in a pen of there own now with a wire roof and wings clipped they are flighty but ours are alot calmer now and dont panic now or mind being handled too much.
we have them in the garden with neigbours and they dont bother anyone,even we have two males who have a call but are not too persistent or loud.
bettysue
Lively Laner

Post by bettysue »

one problem i have encountered is they fight. Came home to find one quail scalped by the other. did all i could for it but it did n't make it.