Sad start to Sunday

Bantams, Turkeys, Pigs, Sheep and whatever
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Sad start to Sunday

Post by HenPen »

Was woken this morning the doorbell ringing and ringing.

It was the man from over the road saying that a duck, which had just hatched ten ducklings in their garden yesterday, had tried to take them across our busy road this morning. She and three ducklings were killed and the other seven had made it across and were in our pond.

Thank goodness we hadn't got round to doing the fence we've been meaning to put up, or they'd have been stuck in the road. As it was they'd have had no problem getting through the chestnut paling.

So my daughter and I helped our neighbour and his son to catch them and put them in my chicken-transporting box, so they can be taken to the wildlife rescue place.

Poor little things. I do hope they'll be ok. I am glad that where he is taking them is a way away, out in the countryside, which means they will now grow up away from this dangerous busy road.

Feeling {cry}
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Sad start to Sunday

Post by Mo »

I suppose it is nature's way. Hatch lots and hope some survive. We had a pheasant nest in a clump of daffodil leaves a few years back. The the leaves died down and she was sitting in the open (but still well camoflaged), until the inevitable pile of feathers.

Hope your ducklings have better luck in their new home.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Oh, how sad {cry}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Its very sad but with the help you all gave the other babbies will at least have a fighting chance )t' Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Sounds like the best was done in very unhappy circumstances. Not all ducklings can swim, some drown, so the remaining seven were lucky there too, bless them.
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Blimey, I didn't realise that. They were swimming around like they had been doing it for ages, so tiny and so beautiful, just little yellow and black balls of fluff. Perhaps their mum had time to give them a lesson on their first day in the world, as I understand they were born next to the neighbour's pond.