Plastic greenhouse - sort of.

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Ryan
Lively Laner

Plastic greenhouse - sort of.

Post by Ryan »

Evening all :)

I have managed to get my hands on some free and cheap wood and the wavy clear plastic roofing type stuff (like the stuff here: http://www.wickes.co.uk/Clear-PVCu-Corr ... nvt/240152).

Now, if I build a sort of frame and stick the wavy plastic around it all, would that make a suitable green house type thing?

The thing I am worried about is the gaps in the wavy plastic, would it be okay to leave it or would the wind whipping through it cause trouble inside (not thinking about wind getting in and blowing panels out :))

Anyone done something like this - I might make a small diary thing of how it goes. Should be starting tomorrow if the weather behaves!!

Cheers
Ry
manda

Re: Plastic greenhouse - sort of.

Post by manda »

Could you get some bubble wrap and sort of joint it...I dunno really I have a greenhouse but it has no glass in it...it's sat next to it in a pile!! Trouble is we've decided we probably need to move it so I'm not going to be able to use it any time soon..BUT I would think that if you could joint the gaps somehow then it would be fine as a greenhouse.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Hi Ry,
I would say it depends on the shape you intend to build.
Some of my allotment neighbors have used the pannels you describe to cover polly tunnel frames and that way the gaps left by the wavey shapes are only at the ends which is actualy an advantage.
However, if you want to build a more traditional shape greenhouse then it shouldn't be a problem if you use plenty of the correct fixings to secure the pannels to the frame.
I would use tek screws, These are basicaly a self tapping screw with a bolt head but you can get them with different size water proof washers. obviously you would have to get the right size washer to suit your sheets.
Oh and by the way put them through the highest point of the wavey bit, that way rain runs down into the lower part/furrows and runs away.
Hope that makes sence.
Al
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
Ryan
Lively Laner

Post by Ryan »

Mmmm a couple of good ideas - bubblewrap or tunnel shape.
New ideas - thanks to you both :)
teddymouse
Longlasting Laner

Post by teddymouse »

hi malefic

i use these sheets on my aviary roof,use 3"screws,with 1.1/2 washers made from an old pr of wellies,and placed 2 1/2"strips of soft foam under the edges,works for me.!
angie
why is it these days that common sense and common decency aren't that common?????
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Sorry )ot:
But malefic did you used to be or are you a member of A4A?
I am just curious because there is a member there with a very similar name.
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
Ryan
Lively Laner

Post by Ryan »

Al, the forum name doesn't ring a bell with me so I will say no :)
I use this name on a few forums but like I said, A4A doesn't sound familiar (saying that, its early in the morning and I have only had one cup of coffee so far :))
LynneP
DTL Facebook Admin

Post by LynneP »

We used them as a roof on our chicken run- ask at your hardware store for those screws, as mentioned, ours had a rubber gasket on them. You can also get wooden or plastic 'furring strips' to fit the grooves ( or devise a template and make your own). Your application is different from ours but there are some pics of ours here

http://www.backyardchickens.com/web/vie ... ynnePs_Run
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all.
~Emily Dickinson

http://goldenhillsfarm.blogspot.com/201 ... -farm.html
jake7ben
Learner Laner

Post by jake7ben »

This is how I made mine, hope this helps.
Attachments
P1010002.JPG
P1010002.JPG (23.25 KiB) Viewed 1676 times
life is good sometimes!!!