Prepareing new beds

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Willow
Legendary Laner

Prepareing new beds

Post by Willow »

We're prepareing a new raised bed for next years veg.... Our soil is pure grey clay, so needs breaking up - can I dig in wood shavings and chicken poo besides home made compost now? Or will any nutrients just get washed through during winter?
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Tania
Lively Laner

Post by Tania »

Hi Willow

I think that digging anything in at this time will only benefit. Digging will break up the clay and allow air in - any organic matter will improve the structure, holding the clay apart and release nutrients as it decomposes. I'd get some grit to dig in too. During the winter rain will better get into the soil and freezing will open it up.

I'm gardening on flint - alkaline soil. A *ugger to work as the flint stops me from getting a spade or fork into the ground. I use a mattock but have had success with raised beds.
See my chickens HERE!!
New pictures, ex-batts added 4/11/07
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Shavings take a while to break down, and use nitrogen while doing it.
Books always recommend 'well rotted' manure. I'm not sure if this outweighs the benefit of vreaking up the clay or not.
Tania
Lively Laner

Post by Tania »

If you are not planting out until the spring using raw shavings and chicken poo (as opposed to composted) shouldn't be a problem. Dig it in well and it will be working in the soil. The chicken poo will more than make up for nitrogen loss - in my opinion. :wink:
I wouldn't use it neat during the growing season though.

Another thing I've had success with is to dig a trench in the autumn and fill it with a good 6" or more layer of compostables - veg peelings etc, then back fill and leave it to compost in situ - great for beans, courgettes, pumpkins.
See my chickens HERE!!
New pictures, ex-batts added 4/11/07
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

I suppose it all boils down to whether the organic matter will rot down over winter... I think I'll give it a go.. nothing can be as bad as the potting clay I have for soil now...
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Prepareing new beds

Post by AnnaB »

Hi Willow

If you have a paper shredder, dig a lot of shredded paper in as well as what you have suggested.
Anna
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Good idea Anna... at the moment its all getting burnt.. Right thats straw, Chicken poo, last years compost and shredded paper... If that doesnt sort out the soil nothing will!!

Albert Einstein