Chamomile Lawn..

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Chamomile Lawn..

Post by Citrine »

(f+

Dunno if this is the right place to put this, BUT...
whilst out purchasing my Tree, got talking to a chap who worked in a garden centre about Hens
He said that he had been renovating his sister in laws garden, and then she decided to get some chucks. We discussed the problem of grass, or lack of, with chicken keeping, and he came up with a fabulous idea (...unproven though!)!!
Why not try doing a chamomile lawn, rather than grass???
I think it would be good to try, but it wont stop them from raking it up with their claws.

Anyone got any input/thoughts on this???
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
Jodi
Lively Laner

Post by Jodi »

We had a chamomile lawn area in the house I grew up in. It was on a full size bowling rink. We didn't maintain it and eventually other grass took over - with only a small patch left in the shady areas by the time we moved out. I remember it being really soft and looked great, but from memory was very fine so I think chooks would find any gaps and it would be easy to rip up.

I reckon the only grass a chook wouldn't wreck would be the synthetic stuff - which seems to be popping up all over the place over here.

cheers
Jodi
chucky egg
Longlasting Laner

Post by chucky egg »

I would tend to agree with jodi.
I have some chamomile in a huge pot and although the roots are quite tenacious the fine feathery leaves and delicate flowers wouldn't last a minute. If left to breath and recuperate I would expect a lawn to grow back eventually but that would be the sme for a 'regualr grased lawn wouldn't it? Smell lovely as they were happily digging it up and causing general havoc :-D
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

Yeah, my thoughts were similar - I actually did try to grow a chamomile lawn of sorts a few yearsago - and that was without chooks!!!
Worth a thought anyway!
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk