Wendy's 2011 Grow your own diary

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Re: Wendy's 2011 Grow your own diary

Post by lizziedoggarden »

New chooks eh?
Good for you, you deserve them!
Mum's the word )w( {hug}
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

wenders wrote:Ok ill take your advice and keep them in for a bit longer, just had a peep and the courgettes are coming through - have done since this morning yay!

Yes car boot sale was good, no way could I go regularly though, it's too busy! Have enough stuff for another car boot sale. Bev will tell you a secret, I am saving the money I made to get 3 new chickens - havent told OH yet you see so shhhhhhh te he!! Have all ex bats at the mo but im toying with the idea of getting some posh birds too, not sure as I do love my batties!

Will go down the allotment soon when have finished work for the day and try and get some piccies!

xxx

Oooh I'm not an expert by any means Wendy, I'm sure one of the others will be along to answer your question though :-D

I love it that you're saving for some chookies... hehehe what a lovely surprise it'll be for OH. Don't worry, your secret's safe with us )t'
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
wenders
Lively Laner

Post by wenders »

Ha ha, I love my chickens - I cant even be angry when they trash my plants {hug}

I think i will get some posh birds, just cos I get so attached to my ex bats and am heart broken when they die so would be nice to have a mixture

Forgot the picture again at the allotment grrrr! I tried to take one on my phone but it was rubbish and left my camera at home. Still put out some sweet peas that our lovely neighbour gave us and made a bedding box around the greenhouse - planted some salad stuff and beetroot. yum!!

xx
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Aww sounds lovely your allotment's really coming on Wendy.

Which kind of chookies do you think you'll get?

Our three girls are all hybrid girls. I don't know their exact 'breed' but they're all different colours - Dottie's black/ginger, Hilda's ginger and Elsie's grey/white stripes :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
wenders
Lively Laner

Post by wenders »

I am still deciding but I think it will be a Bluebelle (which is a greyish colour and app lays blue eggs) and and a copper Marran and not sure about the other one. What a good decision to have to make!! Have you any piccies of your chooks Bev? I would love to see yours.

I think I have made a boo boo with our tomatoes - we have about 40 plants eeekkk! However each year I grow tumbling tomatoes in a contraption OH made a few years ago and I love them! But we only have 3 of the tumbling tomatoes - we planted mini belles as well and I didnt realise these were a compact plant rather than a tumbling variety! We are about 15 plants short so I have saved some seed from last years tomatoes is it much too late to start some off and aim for a more staggered crop this year? What does everyone think have I left it too late?
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oooh it's so egg-citing about your new girls Wendy :-D

I don't know about your tomatoes :oops: how about copying what you've said there and posting a thread in the veggie section? I'm sure one of the others will know the answer.
>eas1< as for chicken photos, I've got millions - even after only 7/8 months! {rofwl}

Here you go:

Elsie, Hilda and Dottie eating a banana from my hand

My lovely gardening girls and you can just see Benny to the left
Bev x

wenders
Lively Laner

Post by wenders »

Ah theyre beautiful - I think you have a copper maran there - though I am by no means an expert he he!! I am off to get a googling as I really like the greyish hen you have (Elsie?) - -oooh theyre all so lovely! :-D
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Thank you Wendy, we think they're lovely too {hug}

Yes that's right, Elsie is the grey and white stripey girl. She's ever so funny (well they all are), but she loves having a dust bath in their home made one that I made for them.

Here you go, I just love taking and sharing pictures of them. Elsie about a month after we got her - she's much more grown up now :-D
Bev x

wenders
Lively Laner

Post by wenders »

Ha Ha, Bev I am getting no work done this morning as I am drooling over your chickens - what a gorgeous pic.

We have just become an Aunty and Uncle for the first time so I have decided to write a little story about the chickens and get one of those photo books made up. So I need to get some nice photos to go with my story, yours are great! . I suspect this book is more for me than our neice though te he!
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh what a lovely idea.... yes I make an annual newsletter to send at Christmas and the girls all featured in last years :-D :-D
Bev x

wenders
Lively Laner

Post by wenders »

Phew back from camping - what glorious weather we had!! Down the allotment today and did some more weeding!! The potatoes have got massive! The greenhouse is nearly finished and we put the cucumbers and some tomatoes in there. Planted the mangetout and purple podded beans out. And planted some Kale out 3 different varieties, have never done those so will see how it goes.

And I was delighted so see some fruit on my blackcurrant, redcurrant and gooseberry bushes - yay yay! Somehow that has made all the back breaking work sorting the allotment out worth it (not that i havent enjoyed every second anyway!!) :-D
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

You've had lovely weather for camping, brilliant!
Sounds like your gardening is coming on really well too :-D )t'

lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

When are you getting your new additions to your family? >eas1< )w( >fi<

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Sounds like things are coming on grand Wendy and glad you had a lovely weekend camping :-D :-D
Bev x

wenders
Lively Laner

Post by wenders »

Hmm in July I think - I am away a few weekends till then and want to make sure I am around to break up any scuffles when settling in!!

Exciting - I have enough stuff to do another car boot sale too so think if I make any money will buy a dehydrator with it - I have wanted one for ages - yay!! :-D