How is your veg growing?

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Any updates on veg plots? All my raised beds are now full, broad beans, french beans, courgettes, peas, runner beans, sprouts, potatoes, cabbage, broccolli.

Of course I have sown too many seeds again, I had to make an extra bed for the runner beans. I had an old kitchen wall cupboard without a back, so I took the doors off and laid it on the ground and filled it with compost, instant small raised bed.

I have some butternut squash coming up, from seeds I saved from a shop bought one last year, not sure if they will bear fruit, we shall see. I have masses of tomato plants again, potting them on into the plastic storage boxes. Last year I put 4 plants in a box, it was too crowded so now I am putting 2 plants in each. I may need to reuse the compost bags I have, for the toms, and any other pots. I am wanting to put the toms into their final place in the greenhouse/shelters but the space is taken at the moment with strawberries. Having to move things about a lot.

I was out all day yesterday it was lovely hot sun, but today it's raining.
Ilona
(f+
stiggy
Lively Laner

Post by stiggy »

Well, thought I'd join in the fun...

..our onions are doing well,
..beetroot just planted but settling in nicely,
..rhubarb is growing wildly!..

raspberries..

..our potatoes have started growing spot free leaves since we gave them extra nutrients and minerals..

..and the blackberries are also doing well..

We're new to this, so we thought we'd just start this year with a few crops to see how we get on, and also to try to prepare the soil and plot for next year - also we don't have the time to plant a lot since we don't actually live there yet - looking forward to Oct when we move in!!
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

first lot of radish and sorrel near harvesting, tomato plants still alive but not doing as well as i would like, spring onions a bit rubbish to be honest with you....
Bah Humbug
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

We had some baby broad beans yesterday.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Wish I had raspberry bushes like that, my cheap ones are doing well, but I will have to wait till next year for some fruit.

I have given up on my spring onions as well, might chuck them and use the space for something else.

Don't give up on the tomato plants just yet, mine were late last year but I ended up with loads of fruit. I counted up my tom plants today, 114, goodness knows where I am going to put them all!!!

Ilona
)t'
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

I went to check on my carrot seedlings this morning, lifted up the tunnel thing Ive got covering them and they have ALL gone. )de: )de: )de:

I assume its my favourite garden creature thats had them for their supper. HMPH
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Had a bit of a growth spurt on the toms and chillis over the last week, spring onions have also perked up a bit. Sorrel has gone mad and has been harvested almost daily as have the radishes. Sorrel and egg sandwiches are delicious by the way. )c+
Bah Humbug
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

what does Sorrell taste like?
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

like slightly citrusy lettuce, a little bit bitter as well, goes well with egg mayo.
Bah Humbug
spudley
Legendary Laner

Post by spudley »

spuds are mighty this year, hopefull if i store them right i will have enough to last till next year.
braod beans are looking fab and by next week we should have enough ready to have with a meal.
planted out the sweetcorn it is currently residing under metal frames with a hope of keeping of the rabbits
garlic still growing, but have lost a whole bed of about 30 onions to mr bunny.
leeks are groing well, have planted them in 2ltr pop bottles (colected from around an about) have more to thin out, and again as with the spuds shouldnt have to buy any again when they come into season.
Mr pheasant has had the pea netting down, so have lost a row.
other stuff such as marrows and pumpkins looking good.
butternut squash and cucumbers looking weak though

its all trial and error
5 dogs, 15 chickens (6 ex batts) 1 cockerel, and very limited tech skills
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

We were looking forward to a couple of strawberries that were ripening nicely, but something has lifted the netting and pinched them!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

That's a shame Mo, my strawberries are just starting to ripen, some are covered some are not. I am running out of space, trying to find room for my trillions of tomato plants which are growing rapidly and need re potting, help !!!

I have some loverly spuds as well, Spudly, my broad beans are full with flowers, and I have some more plants coming along for later.

I thought my onions were a bit slow but someone told me they take ages, so I have to be patient. Carrots are still small but I am eating some to make room for the rest to grow bigger. Pease are here, courgettes are coming, cabbage, broccolli, and sprouts are still under net curtains but I will have to let them out soon or increase the height of the net.

I need some more compost and manure. Isn't it all soooo interesting !!!

Ilona
)eat(
Last edited by Meanqueen on 16 Jun 2008, 10:57, edited 1 time in total.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

We lifted a trial root of spuds Friday. Just enough (almost) for the 2 of us. Why is it that they taste so good that you could eat twice as many, when there aren't enough?
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

Our strawberries are huge and sweet and I'm picking them each day as they ripen, chilies are up and I have a pumpkin plant called Mildred , with flowers! The manx tomatoes are in flower, and lettuce, spinach and carrots are doing well. YUMMMMM )c+ . The colonel loves strawberries )t(
Looove chucks!
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

We had gale force winds last night and my greenhouse was blown over.

Lots of snapped tomato plants....... :cry:

Will see what I can salvage after work tonight - bet it's too late to start again.....
Small steps lead to big changes