Courgette plants

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
justgettingstarted
Learner Laner

Courgette plants

Post by justgettingstarted »

Hi all,
New to all this as have just started with a veg graden this year. have planted potatoes, beans, onions, cabbage and carrots but have now run out of space. The head of the house now wants courgette plants but I have run out of space. :cry: Can someone tell me if they would grow in pots and if so what size pot should I be putting them in?

Many thanks to all!! :-D Rich
recycle - use freecycle.org
Rich and Debs
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

Post by sharon the chauffeur »

sounds odd but how about a car tyre cut so it establishes a large flower pot? i am only guessing as we only use these in italian meals and bbqs, most of which i buy from the farmer
ged
Lively Laner

Courgettes

Post by ged »

:-D
Hi There,Welcome to our forum,
Yes,courgettes will grow in pots or tubs but you need a fair sized container as these plants are rampant growers!I have even seen one growing up a fence!
Best of luck!
atb
ged )t'
'Ask not what can your Country do for you,rather,What can you do for your Country'
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

This was last year. It went on to grow right over the sides and we got loads of Courgettes.

If in Pots, watering is essential.

The tyre is a very good alternative.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

My courgettes grew massive last year, they travel sideways, like Richard said. I would add that you need a big pot, wide but not tall. You might have to support the plant as it gets heavy with courgettes. I have got green and yellow ones this year, I know I will need lots of room for them in my raised beds.
Ilona
)t'
justgettingstarted
Learner Laner

courgette plants

Post by justgettingstarted »

Many thanks to all for replys. The car tyre idea sounds great as I have plenty of room on a gravelled area at the back of the garden and a tyre fitting place across the road from me.

Richard - this is a great site. Keep up the good work and enjoy the cricket (I am a keen watcher of Gloucestershire)

Once again many thanks and I am sure I will be back with moe questions as the season goes on.
Rich
recycle - use freecycle.org
Rich and Debs