plum tree needs help

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
kerriehen
Learner Laner

plum tree needs help

Post by kerriehen »

Hi
I have a plum tree at the end of of garden which unfortunately has been somewhat neglected and left to it's own devices!

It is planted next to our fence and seems to be laden with fruit on the neighbours side and not ours, I guess this is partially due to the lack of light from the conifers.

Could anybody give me any advice on pruning the tree and do you think this will help )hlp> ???? ( the conifers will be cut down very soon)!!!!

Many thanks
Regs Kerrie
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

They do say that plums are prone to some disease and pruning lets it in. So the best time to prune is when the sap is rising strongly. Early summer I think, while the plums are still not ripe for picking (or risk it and pick then prune).

May be worth leaving it and seeing what happens when the conifers are out, just take out the dead and crossing wood. The advice is do as little as you can get away with, but it becomes a tangled mess if you do absolutely nothing (and don't ask how I know that!)
manda

Post by manda »

Discussed this with Hubby (who is an arborist) his advice is....

* Absolutely get rid of the Conifers. This will definitely help the tree.

* Go to the library to find a book on pruning fruit trees so that you can take it back to pruning points or contact an arborist who will do it for you (but obviously charge you)...then don't expect any fruit for a couple of years.

Time to prune is Autumn after all the leaves have dropped.

Hope that helps
Manda
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

manda wrote:
Time to prune is Autumn after all the leaves have dropped.

Manda

NO. This may be the time for most trees but not plums because of silver leaf infection. Maybe you don't get that in NZ.

Google "pruning plums". lots of advice
here and RHS site

Early summer is the time. June.
You get much nicer plums if you thin ruthlesslly. Victoria plums can grow to the size of an egg if they have the space and are tasty and juicy. If you leave them in clusters you get lots that are all stone and only good for pies.
manda

Post by manda »

I will have to tell him about that...cheers Mo (maybe it's not here :? ).
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny