Containers

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
OldForum
Lively Laner

Containers

Post by OldForum »

Matty
hi guys
i am moving house soon but want to plant veggies in containers , what veg types do well in containers ? .

Jill
Hi Matty
Almost any veg can be grown in a container. French beans are good as they stay quite short whereas runner beans might be a bit difficult to move! Tomatoes, potatoes, courgettes, peppers, lettuce etc, etc, all do well in containers or gro bags. I wouldn't go for the brassicas like brussels or cabbage as they like a firm soil but I guess they could be grown in a pot. And then of course herbs are great, I have mine growing in old sinks and fire buckets!
Basically, anything you can grow in the ground could be grown in a pot!
Good luck
Jill

When you grow in containers do you use compost or garden soil?
Using compost could work out pricy.

I'd mix it up. Obviously you don't want it too loose or it may just sink the water too fast and cause some earth to drop out the bottom.
I'd use the compost where you're actually sowing - that'll give them a faster start I think.

I'm doing my beetroots and carrits in deep guttering to start them off (see this weeks diary!), then sliding them into the soil when they're big enough - and the cats are getting hungry.

Good luck, nice to meet you.

matty1
hi guys
thanks for the advice , i am using compost,but at 3 for a tenner it was a good price. have now got carrots spring onions, radashes , dwalf beans , lettuce , toms.
all growing well thanks.

Richard
All round to your house for a roast this autumn then !!