Composting again

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Composting again

Post by Freeranger »

Watching my backlog of Gardeners' World videos, and Monty tells me that garden compost tends to be too green and nitrogen rich because of things like grass cuttings. He said you should chop up brown, woody stems for the carbon to balance it out. OK. Dim question coming up....what if you have lots of brown old dead grass, like a miscanthus-type thingy and lots of dead sedge/rushes? Am I right in thinking they'll have given up their nitrogen and still count as carbon-rich? I'm easily confused!
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Re: Composting again

Post by Homemade »

Yes. Just think wet and dry mixed really.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

the thing with woody bits is that they take a long time to break down and get stuck in the fork/rake LOL, so why not use cardboard and paper (wood pulp) as your brown compost )t'
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Thanks, both - I can certainly use paper and cardboard, but it seems like a waste to leave the other stuff too. You'd think compost was really simple, but it just never seems to produce that lovely brown crumbly loveliness of the gardening programmes!
milli
Longlasting Laner

Post by milli »

We find adding shredded newspaper and torn up cardboard helps too if the compost is a bit too wet. Also when I'm peeling veg into my kitchen bin ( that gets taken down to the compost bin when full ) I add any bits of paper towel that have been used and that seems to help with the mix of wet and dry which gives a nice crumbly mix when the compost is ready. My only problem is with teabags, does anyone else find that little bit of left over bag that never compost down really annoying!! {rofwl}
15 ex batty girls, 2 rescue jack russels and one very naughty Shih Tzu puppy who rules the household!!!
Luna
Longlasting Laner

Post by Luna »

milli wrote:My only problem is with teabags, does anyone else find that little bit of left over bag that never compost down really annoying!! {rofwl}

I thought I was the only one - you are not alone! I find myself scanning the veg beds for those annoying bits of bag that don't decompose..... {rofwl}
Jo x
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."
Atticus Finch in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' by Harper Lee
fishpond
Legendary Laner

Post by fishpond »

My only problem is with teabags, does anyone else find that little bit of left over bag that never compost down really annoying!! {rofwl}

Apparently most teabags have a small amount of plastic in the paper.
No problem can withstand the power of continuous thought.
new2chooks
Learner Laner

Post by new2chooks »

Eggshells used to be a problem, but now they are roasted crushed and fed back to the chickens (and the blackbirds, jackdaws, sparrows, wood pigeons, doves, etc, etc).

Potatoes are a problem - they end up sprouting either in the bin or after the contents are spread, as do tomatoes, and even the odd raspberry!! I'm probably not letting it stew enough, but I'm limited for space at Chook Towers.

My composting success rate went stratospheric, once I switched to those open sided wooden ones, though they make a mess as stuff leaks out the sides. I have one 'cooking' and one 'filling', then empty the cooker out after 6 months and switch the filler to cook.

More from 'Composting Today', er, tomorrow.. {rofwl}
Mark

My over-caffeinated, mid-life ramblings:- http://poultryinvestment.blogspot.co.uk/

"I used to be young and foolish. I'm older now"
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Things sound very organised at Chook Towers. I think the thing I keep procrastinating about most is tipping it out and mixing it up, which would probably make a big difference. I find the odd oxo cube wrapper and things that have been swept up with the peelings, like teaspoons. Shells go back to our girls, and most of the peelings too, but they process them for us and that goes into the compost. At least it will have been hot enough for it in our hilltop retreat for a change, so am hoping for better things this year.
new2chooks
Learner Laner

Post by new2chooks »

{rofwl}

Yes - things certainly 'sound' organised!!!
Mark

My over-caffeinated, mid-life ramblings:- http://poultryinvestment.blogspot.co.uk/

"I used to be young and foolish. I'm older now"
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

I am trying three approaches at the moment.

(1) A large green composting bin that the local council provided a few years back. It might be what I put in it, grass clipping, veg peelings from the kitchen, etc., but it does tend to get a bit wet and soaky, even though I do add newspaper and cardboard.

(2) A wood compost bin. I made it myself from a couple of old pallets. I find it work best if I move semi-composted material from (1) above into it, keep it fair moist and turn it over frequently.

(3) A wormery. Early days yet but what I am really trying for is really a worm nursery to breed worms to put into (2) above.

How sad am I - love the idea of composting! I also have a book 'Liquid Gold' about using urine in gardening.

Either way, happy composting everyone. )t'
Michael
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

well, you're not as much of an'enthusiast' as some other folk I've met who had a composting loo, and put everything else imaginable in there, such as garden prunings, kitchen waste, floor sweepings, hoover bags, dustpan contents, old clothes (cut up), hairbrush cleanings & trimmings from the hairdressers, dog hair, chicken feathers - anything that wasn't plastic or metal pretty much. Their garden was amazing, and all their composters were the open sided type of either pallet-alike construction or just posts with chicken wire to make a bin. Their garden was amazing.
We have many midges here (eek), but in other places I've sent OH to wee on the compost or into a bucket to use as feed for the peas and tomatoes. People I know use e.g. nettle steepings as sprays against certain pests etc.
I love the idea of all of this and green manures but have never quite got organised and when I have it hasn't worked. Must start again more systematically.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Freeranger wrote: or just posts with chicken wire to make a bin.

I heard somewhere that this type of set-up is what you need to compost leaves over winter. It means they don't just settle into a soggy mess as air is allowed to circulate.
Michael
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I've never quite understood why, if it works so well with leaves, it isn't the way to do everything else too.
mariat
Lively Laner

Post by mariat »

I have 2 bins, one black plastic one from the council, and one I made from pallets. I have a a tub that gets any veg peelings etc., and that gets emptied into the wooden bin when full. I also tear up any unwanted letters and add those for the carbon. The plastic bin rots down faster, but that may be due to the wooden one not being covered. In this weather I need to damp it down often. You can also add urine, it acts a an accelerator.