Upside-down Tomatoes

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Linda Pattison
Lively Laner

Upside-down Tomatoes

Post by Linda Pattison »

David and I are experimenting with tomatoes grown upside-down in plastic buckets. We grew one in a commercial sack last year and loved both the quantity and quality of the produce.

The reasoning behind this is to lessen the chance of moulds and viruses, and to gather clean fruit untouched by pet or wildlife urine. For us, that is tomcats and raccoons. You can see slugs easily, not that any got up the vines on the plant last year.

We want containers that are cheap and easy to clean after the season and we have re-purposed lumber for posts, and plant hangers used for various things over 20 years. We also included circular bits of landscape cloth at the bottom of each pot to stabilize the plants and keep soil from leaking.

David used a 1" cutting spindle to do the cntre of each bucket and I drilled the 1/4" drainage holes, about 8 to a container. We bought transplants (Early Cascade) and eased them through the cloth and out the bse of the buckets.

To avoid soil problems we purchased bags of suitable transplant mix and tamped it in carefully as the container hung on a plant holder. At the top I added tiny tomato plants (Tumbling Tom) and a couple of marigolds as companion plants.

They're in a spot which gets full sun all day.

I keep a watering can with rainwater at the base of one of the poles. Hope this works for a second year, I walk by here severl times a year so it's convenient for the barn and the house.
One of your fb DTL admins with Manda Powdrill and Christy Poole.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Upside-down Tomatoes

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Hello Linda,
Have I got it right that instead of growing upwards supported by cains that they trail over the side of the bucket and dangle?
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Linda Pattison
Lively Laner

Re: Upside-down Tomatoes

Post by Linda Pattison »

The ones on the bottom grow down nearly to the ground, and the ones on the top will come over the side a bit to bear tiny fruit. +f+
One of your fb DTL admins with Manda Powdrill and Christy Poole.