What tree?......

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
silverback
Legendary Laner

What tree?......

Post by silverback »

Hi Everyone, I thought I would seek your expert advice for a tree problem we have!.
We are looking for a tree to put next to a fence, something of about 5-6 mtrs tall, not
to dense, would much prefer branches/leaves to be wispy!, so the light will still come through, if that makes sense!!.
Also, a tree who's roots will not attack the drains or foundations of my son's extension, which are approx. 3-4 mtrs away, any suggestions would be gratefully considered! )t'

(and before you ask!, no we have not had an argument with our neighbours!! )grin2( )
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
Maggie1

Re: What tree?......

Post by Maggie1 »

Try a rowan. The roots don't go to deep plus you have the beauty of the different colour leaves through the season and loads of berries for the birds
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Thanks Maggie, it's down on the list! )t' ...
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

Rowans (mountain ash) definitely top of my list too.
Also try Amelanchier although this might be a bit small for you, lovely blossom and autumn colour.
Mid size acers, like the snake-barks give a fair size to start with but don't get too big, and as the name suggests they have decorative bark.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Our new house has an elderly rowan. It was cut right back when we moved in as it is in front of the farm's kitchen window and we want to be on good terms with our neighbours. It has grown back wonderfully well - and the light goes through very well according to the lady farmer.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.