Frugally free tomatoe fertiliser

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
plot45b
Learner Laner

Frugally free tomatoe fertiliser

Post by plot45b »

Hi all,

Has anyone else come across urine as a tomatoe fertiliser?

http://lifeintent.wordpress.com/2013/08 ... -just-pee/

Kinda quirky nah?
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Frugally free tomatoe fertiliser

Post by Mo »

Maybe OK when the plant was growing, or in flower, (well???? maybe???) but not when the fruit swell.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Actually, it's not a new concept using urine for the nitrogen content - this book titled Liquid Gold has been around for some time. Adding urine to the compost bin is quite common. And don't forget that most animal manure contains a fair amount of urine amongst all that matter.

One possible downside is that fresh urine may be too strong and the other is that it will acidify the soil and can have an effect on plants especially those that cannot tolerate soil with a low pH. There's also a possible health issue - fresh urine may contain pathogens, but once soil bacteria have broken it down, most are usually neutralised. As a frugally free tomato fertiliser, well I see no problem with it but I'm not sure I like the thought of eating produce that someone else has peed on it LOL.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

I bought 'Liquid Gold' last year after a reference to it on this site. Makes a lot of sense to me - pee is a value commodity - wasted if we just flush it down the loo :-D
Michael
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I was told to dilute it 1:3 with water and, ironically, it works with peas as well!I've never really understood this because it's high in nitrogen and I think that encourages leaves not fruit? Perhaps someone can tell me. Purists suggest women on the pill shouldn't do this, and peeing in a bucket has its practical issues but the man of the house could be quite useful.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Slightly off this topic but male pee around the chicken run is said to keep foxes away. Foxes , like all dogs, are very sensitive to smells and the smell of a human should discourage them.
Michael