How can I use my Gh over winter?

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
mariat
Lively Laner

How can I use my Gh over winter?

Post by mariat »

I love growing veg, and have been doing it for about 3 years now. In summer I usually grow a variety in my 8 x 12 GH (I have two, but one is a shelter for my Brahmas), but due to the crap spring this year I'm just doing toms. It stands empty and forlorn over winter, so can someone please tell me what can be grown in there? I've saved some new spuds from my crop, to try for Xmas, but what else?
Also, do veg plants stop growing in winter due to the drop in temperature or the shorter day lengths? Or both?
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: How can I use my Gh over winter?

Post by lancashire lass »

sorry, I've only just seen this thread

mariat wrote:Also, do veg plants stop growing in winter due to the drop in temperature or the shorter day lengths? Or both?

All plants stop growing when the temperature drops to near freezing, and probably from about 10-15oC (hardy winter types/spring crops might start growing at a lower temperature but tender crops will need it a lot warmer)

Daylight length usually affects certain processes, such as when an onion should start bulbing up or when plants should be flowering (leading up to summer solstice rather than winter when things are unlikely to be growing anyway)

If you heated a greenhouse then plants will grow, but bear in mind that the winter sun has very little strength in it (or none at all if it is cloudy) and so plants tend to grow weak and leggy. Additional lighting should then be considered but that can be an expensive way of growing stuff.

I have to admit I don't grow protected winter crops - I put so much time and effort into spring/summer/autumn, that a winter break is welcomed. But you could try mustard greens, salad leaves/mustard greens/pak choi and winter hardy lettuce in the unheated greenhouse - you'll still need to sow them early enough while it is warm for germination and to get to a decent size before the temperature drops.

Hopefully some others will come along and give you more tips )t'
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Re: How can I use my Gh over winter?

Post by billnorfolk »

Like LL i look forward to shutting my beds, greenhouse and pollytunnel up for the winter ,though after saying that in the last couple of weeks have sown carrots,red beet and iceberg lettuce in the pollytunnel .Take about 10-12 weeks so hopefully will have some before colder weather sets in,also 9 charlot seed potatoes, for christmas new potatoes, now pokeing through so fingers crossed for a late autum )t'
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014