bitten the bullet

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

bitten the bullet

Post by bmpsands »

We've ordered the polytunnel. It's 4m x 2m x 2m and is the heavy duty version.

Don't know if we'll put it up just yet as there won't be anything that we can do in it, will there?????

So exciting!
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
perchy

Re: bitten the bullet

Post by perchy »

How exciting, I am sure there are crops you can grow over winter, someone with some knowledge will be along to let you know x
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Hello there bmpsands

Yes it is exciting and you will find it a realy good investement i love mine,i use mine as an exstension to my garden and grow just as a garden but can sow earlyer and later and still get a crop.There are things you can sow now but the main thing is ground preperation before you grow anything ,plenty of humus and moisture retenting compost,remember the enviroment you create in your pollytunnel will be of your own making,cant trust to mother nature,plants will need you for watering feeding as nature cant get in .If you have a zip door i made an inner mesh door and outer plastic covered door as zips soon expire,there is a video on my diary showing how i did it nothing elaberate or expensive.Good luck with it sure you will have lots of enjoyement )t'
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Thank you for the responses. We've been thinking about this or ages and have finally saved up enough money.

I will ask OH to make a mesh door as this sounds like a really good idea. Fortunately we have plenty of compost etc and I'm going to try to source some really good commercial stuff to make sure that the beds are as good as they can be.

I'm sure I'll be back for more advice soon.

B
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.