Gogi Berries

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
jo68
Legendary Laner

Gogi Berries

Post by jo68 »

(f+ (f+ (f+

has anyone grown Goji berries?

i was going to grow some last year but i dont know what they taste like all i know is that they are good for you and quite easy to grow but i didnt want to grow them if they taste horrid confused> )hlp>

jo x
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I've heard of them but never tasted or grown them, but there was some interesting facts in this wikipedia link

Apparently they are part of the same family of Solanaceae as deadly nightshade, tomatoes, potatoes, tobacco etc. They can grow 1-3 metres (I suppose that depends on variety), and the berries are considered highly nutritious, and even leaves are used in teas, but, anyone taking medication such as Warfarin should beware and especially of how much they consume. The berries apparently are prone to insect damage and often sprayed with insecticide which can still be present in the imported (dried) fruits.
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

(f+ (f+ (f+

thanks LL very interesting didnt know they were called wolf berries confused>

i would love to taste them before i grow some i only heard of them last year they were selling the plant on a shopping channel

jo x
ali
Learner Laner

Post by ali »

You can buy them from health food shops - I had some given to me by a neighbour who didn't like them at all, think they were from Holland and barrett.
They have a sort of dry, slightly sweet taste, take a bit of chewing ! there is a strange aftertaste I'm not keen on , I just kept a glass of water on standby for when I'd swallowed the last mouthful :-D
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

you can also by them in supermarkets (dried)
Small steps lead to big changes
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

(f+ (f+ (f+

i bought myself a goji berry bush so i hope i like them if i dont then i think the chooks will :)

jo x
Ryan
Lively Laner

Post by Ryan »

Never heard of them before - see, I learn everything to do with chickens and strange berries now!!
blackie_fen
Lively Laner

Post by blackie_fen »

I was wondering about growing these, but then I read the blurb in the Suttons catalogue which said they have a 'mild liquorice flavour'.

I hate liquorice sile}

But I'm sure the chooks will go mad for them if you don't like them :)
If you lend someone £20 and never see them again, it was probably £20 well spent...
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I've just remembered I'd read something about goji berry plants that was raising some concern on a gardening forum. I'm sure if the plant has been sourced properly it won't be a problem, but here is the defra link that had everyone thinking twice about growing them http://www.defra.gov.uk/planth/import/lycium.pdf
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

(f+ (f+ (f+

thanks for that, i think mine will be ok although it doesnt say on the lable where it came from it just says that it is a focus brand (where i got it from) so fingers crossed its ok as i bought it last month :)

jo x
firestorm
Learner Laner

Goji Berries

Post by firestorm »

Hi everyone,
I quite like Goji berries, but soak them before using. If you watched 'grow your own dr-ugs' there was a recipe for chicken soup with goji berries that works quite well. They do seem to give you a boost during the day too. 8)
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

The dried berries are not false teeth friendly!
The health benefits come from the soil they're grown in, so it's John Innes versus Tibetan yak fueled muck!
Please don't ever take me seriously! :razz:
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money.
- Pablo Picasso
smiler48
Lively Laner

Post by smiler48 »

My dad bought a goji berry plant to climb over his arch, it is growing very fast indeed, don't know what the berries will be like til they grow though.