Vegtable beds

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
janeb
Learner Laner

Post by janeb »

Wood is here tra la la. Dh gone to buy post concrete? Or has he run away!
chickentina
Legendary Laner

Post by chickentina »

hubby has made me a new vege bed by the green house . Its in partial shade ...gonna grow seed spuds in there hopefully they will be ok....chitting them on the kitchen window sill at the mo...

tina xxxx
mum to five lovely children, nine gorgeous girls, two adorable cats a bouncey border collie pup and a patient loving hubby xxxxx
janeb
Learner Laner

Post by janeb »

Bed 1 is very nearly finished. Am so pleased with it, and with dh who has worked really hard, with a bit of help from son no 1. As soon as I can I will post a photo. Just getting whip out to ensure bed 2 and 3 are started :-D
Got to plan what to plant now, am thinking perhaps 1 bed for salad stuff, 1 for veggies for the winter and not sure about the 3rd.
Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
Cheers
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

I've got three new beds (after 10years!) and in my sunniest one I am going to put fruit. I already have some strawberries and just planted some rhubarb and will get some fruit bushes this weekend.
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

misty wrote:I've got three new beds (after 10years!) and in my sunniest one I am going to put fruit. I already have some strawberries and just planted some rhubarb and will get some fruit bushes this weekend.

Are you thinking Wilcos Misty? They have black and redcurrants, green & red gooseberries, blueberries, even grape vines and figs for between £1 and £5.
Jackie xx
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

Yes, CC I was thinking of an other trip there on Sunday morning. Ours is quite a way from the carpark so didn't have enough arms last week! Luckily there are so cheap as Freddie dog got lots of stuff out of the bag and tried planting it for me (including a sieve)!
silky
Longlasting Laner

Post by silky »

When I was a bit younger and more agile, I had an allotment. For my beds I collected pallets and broke them down, using the planks to form the bed. I then double dug the bed and added compost from my pile. Little cost and no longer standing on the growing area.

As for rhubarb, when I pulled the stalk I would cut off the leaves and place them under my cabbages etc as they help to keep down the whitefly. You can also boil up the leaves (Not in an aluminium pan) and use the water as an insecticide once it is diluted at 9 to 1.
janeb
Learner Laner

Post by janeb »

All three beds have now been completed, and have started planting in the first two. Am really impressed with them , and dear husband who has battled with carpel tunnel syndrome to build them. Will post photo's if can work out how to do it and if anyone would like to see them.
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I would like to see them )t'
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
Lyn Lyn
Lively Laner

Post by Lyn Lyn »

me too :razz: piccies please :razz:
taff
Longlasting Laner

Post by taff »

silky wrote:As for rhubarb, when I pulled the stalk I would cut off the leaves and place them under my cabbages etc as they help to keep down the whitefly. You can also boil up the leaves (Not in an aluminium pan) and use the water as an insecticide once it is diluted at 9 to 1.

now there's an idea, I'll be doing that then ;)
to err is human..to moo, bovine...