Hmmm....I have tomatoes

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Effie
Legendary Laner

Hmmm....I have tomatoes

Post by Effie »

I got a bit carried away with a seedling swap and have ended up with 6 tomato plants.

The trouble is, I don't have a greenhouse.

Can I have suggestions for how to grow them:

Money - I can spare a little,

Space - I have less than I do money

At this rate I can see me installing a couple of growbags in the conservatory :shock:
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

And why not have them in the conservatory? :-D I'm sure thats where conservatories originate - from big old houses that had orangeries that were for growing plants as well as sitting in.

They will need to be in deeper pots than in a grow bag to allow the roots to grow. And a cane that you can tie it to as it grows.

Do you know what variety they are? I grew some outside last year and they were so good I have bought the same variety this year. I like to start them off from seed. It may be that the ones you have would thrive in a sunny sheltered spot once they have matured a little....

One thing is for sure, they will taste better than any tommie you have ever bought )t'
silky
Longlasting Laner

Post by silky »

A good way to grow tomatoes is in roof felt sheeting. You can buy them already made from a nursery. Mine cost me £1 for five. I use seed trays filled with gravel then fill the roof felt container with compost and place a cane and tomato into the compost.

Water the tray and not the compost. Once the first tomato appears, add liquid tomato fertilizer to the compost and keep watering the tray.

Tomatoes have two types of roots, one that takes up water and the second to remove food from the compost.

You can start them off in the conservatory and move them outside once the weather warms up.

Hope this helps
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

how about trying one in a hanging basket? I think it is probably more suited to a cherry type tomato, but I'm certainly going to give it a try this year (one plant per basket) )t'
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

ooh, two of them are cherry toms and I have an empty basket. I think I might get a mini greenhouse and pop them in a sunny spot - I just love the smell of tomatoes in greenhouses, makes me feel 5 again )t'
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"