planting ginger

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
hattiesmummy
Lively Laner

planting ginger

Post by hattiesmummy »

Just a quick question for you as i am very new to veggieing and trying to be as right about it as i can be! :oops:

Can i just plant ginger brought from the supermarket straight in the garden?

This is what the chap on 'grow your own dr-ugs' recons can be done, so before i stick my last piece in the garden i was just after some confirmation (f+ (f+

Thanks in advance

K
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I've successfully grown ginger in the garden - during a heatwave )t' They like it very warm, so I would suggest a greenhouse or conservatory if you can (or south facing window)

If you decide to grow it outdoors anyway and are successful, you will have to bring it indoors before the first frosts. That really will kill it off completely.
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

I tried some last year.
Even later last year OH emptied the posts and said "Look Ginger"
It was the same size I planted. It just preserved it so I gave up and cooked a curry with it.
Allotment http://taylorsplot.blogspot.com/
Orfy Blog (Food'n'Stuff) http://orfy.blogspot.com/
1xMaran 1xRIR 6xWarrens 2xMuts
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Orfy wrote: last year OH emptied the posts and said "Look Ginger"
It was the same size I planted.

LOL - at least you got ginger! :-D I didn't know it had to be dug up before winter and then it disappeared (I've since read up about growing ginger 8) ) I wonder if it is one of those that takes a few years to build up enough rhizomes where you can pick as you need? I might just give it another go myself this year now that I have a couple of greenhouses which I didn't have back then )t'
silky
Longlasting Laner

Post by silky »

GINGER AT HOME

Find a ginger root with green, bumpy buds. Only half bury the root in compost. place the pot in a warm sunny place indoors. Keep the compost damp. When the buds begin to shoot, move the plant to a warm light place, but not in full sunlight.

Keep the plant warm and watered in spring and summer. In the autumn it will die down. If you want it to flower the following year, keep the compost dry until it starts to grow again in spring. It may need watering in spring to start it shooting again. With luck, it may flower in July in the second year! The flower is worth the wait, for a healthy plant will grow to a height of 1 metre (3 feet) and will cost you a fortune if purchased from a nursery.
hattiesmummy
Lively Laner

Post by hattiesmummy »

Thank you all, I knew you would have the answer

(f+ (f+ (f+ (f+