the fun starts now

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
spudley
Legendary Laner

the fun starts now

Post by spudley »

well the spuds are all in. the red cabbage seedlings are out (caged at the moment) I have pea seedlings to go out next week along with the braod beans. The sprout and collie seedlink=gs still have another couple of weeks in the green house. there are two rows of carrotts in and two of parsnips. So the great rabbitt battle has begun.

When the peas go out they are over planted so atleast some survive (cant plant them out as seeds as the pheasants pick of the tops-the same with the broad beans)
but its the rabbitts. To be fair Basil has been quite good at clearing them, and i think that one of the warrens in the field is now empty, but i often think why do i bother when last year and the year before i lost all my veg apart from the spuds peas and beans. Any tips for rabbit deterrant.
5 dogs, 15 chickens (6 ex batts) 1 cockerel, and very limited tech skills
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Do they do an electronic thingy that will deter rabbits? I know my daughter has one for rats in the shed.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

(f+ (f+ (f+

my hubby planted frozen peas yesterday what a plonk my dad said he bought dried peas to plant so hubs thought that frozen would work i was laughing so much it made my day :-D

jo x
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

)j; )j; )j;
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
dogcatcher
Longlasting Laner

Re: the fun starts now

Post by dogcatcher »

spudley wrote:(cant plant them out as seeds as the pheasants pick of the tops-the same with the broad beans)
but its the rabbitts. To be fair Basil has been quite good at clearing them, and i think that one of the warrens in the field is now empty, but i often think why do i bother when last year and the year before i lost all my veg apart from the spuds peas and beans. Any tips for rabbit deterrant.

Last year I planted my peas inside a rectangle of 3ft high wire netting, which protected the plants and also meant that they could climb the netting. They did also need a single row of pea sticks down the middle.
Chicken on the Hill
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken on the Hill »

4ft high chicken wire, preferably buried 15cm down,with a 15cm kick outwards is meant to work,with a tension wire at the top to keep it taut and stop them weakening it to get over. It's what we've learned at college, but have yet to see if it works.
I thought it was about time I had a signature, so this is it til I think of something else!
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I might be inclined to agree with Chicken on the Hill about chicken wire above & below ground level.

Actually I started this post saying I only had the local cats & fox digging up and pooping on my plots to contend with, then remembered the pigeons, tried to add cabbage whites, flea beetles, aphids and an image of slugs popped up ... does make you wonder why we all carry on at this rate. Worse culprits are people who vandalise allotments and think its fun to burn down your shed, and trample all over your hard work ...

Hope you get your rabbit problem sorted spudley