Tomato advice please

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
carterali
Learner Laner

Tomato advice please

Post by carterali »

:? Just wondered if anyone had a clue about my tomato plants. They are a couple of months old, about 5 inches in height, they are planted in yoghurt pots and doing well- starting to put them out in the day, but noticed some of them have leaves a little on the yellow side. Do you think the pots are too small, or they need to be outside, or they didn't like being transplanted? So proud of them, don't want to loose them after all my efforts.HELP!!!
Planted some courgettes four days ago and they are massive, freaked me out, nearly as big as my 2 month old toms is this normal! The beef toms also shot up in days, the rest of the family not as excited as me about such matters. Do you think I might have green fingers?
silky
Longlasting Laner

Post by silky »

They have taken up all the nourishment in the small pots you have them in. Transplant them into a 3 inch (7.5 cm) with John Innis No 2 compost. They will look like they have stop growing for about two weeks. That is because the roots are growing into the new compost, then they will start to shoot up again.

Good luck
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

It's great watching seeds come through. But most exciting to the person who planted them.

Not surprising that the courgette seedlings look big, the seeds are huhg compared with tomato seeds. Our broad beans are up and the first leaves open. They look very sturdy too.

Good luck and good eating.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
carterali
Learner Laner

Tomato advice

Post by carterali »

Thankyou, will replant today. Yes I guess the courgette seeds where big, it was the speed of growth that amazed me. I cannot wait to actually harvest, especially because of the TLC from seed. I think gardening is great for the soul. Happy Easter everyone
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

I'd never thought that the size of the seed affected the growth rate, but I did realise why Cinderella coach was made from a pumpkin - it seemed almost magical how quickly the seeds germinated and leaves are visibly gigger every day (f+
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"