Fast growing shrubs ?

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Dee
Longlasting Laner

Fast growing shrubs ?

Post by Dee »

I have a pathway leading up to the garden with a narrow border along side, the fence between us and the neighbours garden is not very high there so want something fast growing to give some privacy.
Any ideas, thanks
Dee
silky
Longlasting Laner

Post by silky »

For a fast hedge, Leylandi will grow about a metre a year in height however, a lot of local councils have bylaws on the height you will be allowed to grow them as they can grow up to 30 metres tall.

If its privacy you’re after I would clip the top at the two metre height. That will stop it growing any higher and then it will start to fill out.

My friend has a hedge which he keeps trimmed and it looks nice. He also trims the other side to keep his neighbour happy.
blackie_fen
Lively Laner

Post by blackie_fen »

See if you can score some trellis on freecycle (or make some) and set honeysuckle up it - it's evergreen and fast growing, and it smells fantastic.

Black lace (sambuca nigra) grows fast up to about 9' if you prune it hard every spring and puts out lots of ferny black/red foliage every spring as well.

Buddleia are fast growing and easy to grow, and great for hoverflies and other beneficial insects, and you can get a range of colours.

Pyracantha grows quickly as well, and will attract lots of birds to the garden.
If you lend someone £20 and never see them again, it was probably £20 well spent...
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

That's the snag with fast -growing. They keep you busy with the Shears. And if the border is narrow you don't want a fight to get along the path.

How about a trellis with climbers?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Lilo-Lil
Legendary Laner

Post by Lilo-Lil »

Trellis with clemetis such as "Montana" looks good. It grows quite quick too, and is just coming into flower now in my garden.

For evergreen how about "Goldcrest" which is a soft-leaved conifer type. You can buy these small in son-of-morris or B&Qfor less than £2 each. I put some in 3 years ago in a similar position, and they are about 6 ` tall now. They are only about 18 inches or so across, and are a lovely light green colour.
Neutered pets are happy pets! Please spay or neuter your pets. There are thousands in rescue waiting for loving homes, and not enough people to take them on.
Dee
Longlasting Laner

Fast growing plants

Post by Dee »

Thanks for all the suggestions, im off to the D I Y shops and garden centers tomorrow
Dee
Ryan
Lively Laner

Post by Ryan »

I have used the leylandi and climbing plants before and they worked a treat - if you can find some cheap bamboo as well, that will block a view and look nice.

Down side is you may find pandas snacking on your lawn :)
daveindeal
Lively Laner

Post by daveindeal »

how about passion fruit.

we have a large section of it as a seperator growinmg iup a trellis.

really fast growing, get lovely big flowers, and big orange fruit.

pluss really resliant, we hack it back evry so often and it keeps coming back for more thicker and stronger.
Some friends are like a slinky, boring till you push them down the stairs.
http://mongehamestate.blogspot.com/