Trying to name an old rose

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
rag_wort
Learner Laner

Post by rag_wort »

In gardens and parks across the UK there is a fine creamy blush pink climber/rambler rose. It is an old hardy type of rose, very common, but really lovely, even though taken for granted.
Can anyone help with locating its original name please - if it ever had one?
Lilo-Lil
Legendary Laner

Post by Lilo-Lil »

It might help with the naming to know if it`s a big or small flower, very open or scented. I can think of a few it might be.

There is one called "dog rose" which is very old. It has a smallish open flower, pale pink I think. I think this may be the one you are thinking of, it is a good ramber.

I have an old variety called "Ballerina" which is small but with lots of scented flowers on each stem. The bees love it. It can be grown as a shrub, or trained up a fence. It is quite slowgrowing, but very pretty.
Neutered pets are happy pets! Please spay or neuter your pets. There are thousands in rescue waiting for loving homes, and not enough people to take them on.
Nellie
Lively Laner

Post by Nellie »

It's almost certainly Albertine.

It's been very popular since it was launched in 1921, and it's very hardy. It's actually quite nice.
http://www.rosesuk.com/rose_locator/ros ... ertine.php
rag_wort
Learner Laner

Post by rag_wort »

Thanks for the replies on this and thanks especially to Nellie because there is no doubt that the name is Albertine and its been around since 1921. There really is great supportive knowledge in the forum, many thanks.
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

sounds like Albertine to me too. I used to work at Whatton House in Leicestershire and there was one growing from a huge stone urn, tumbling down to the paths, Very pretty and fragrant (f+
Looove chucks!
wendy

Post by wendy »

The old roses are beautiful aren't they ?.
I have a climbing rose it is a beautiful yellow and called Tom Bell. I am sure it is an old rose as it has such a lovely scent.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning