Dandi-flippin'-lions

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Stig
Lively Laner

Re: Dandi-flippin'-lions

Post by Stig »

I reckon the wet ending to last summer is to blame. Everyone's grass ended up being cut less often, & the dandilions were able to seed.

I have weed-&-feeded one area of grass, furthest from the house - that stuff is fast-acting!

But I don't really want chemicals in my garden, so I'm tackling another area with an old kitchen knife & digging them out. If any weeds break off they get a spoonful of salt on the top of the taproot. Hard going - doing it in short bursts & expect to be at it all summer. Using a ratio of 40 mins weeding to 20 mins drinking cider..
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Stig wrote:Using a ratio of 40 mins weeding to 20 mins drinking cider..

By the end of the day you will be digging up everything in sight - hic )th(
Mrs Fuzzywig
Longlasting Laner

Post by Mrs Fuzzywig »

Borrow a few chickens if you can't keep any, you'll never have a weed problem again or any other plants for that matter! :-D
Carol

The trouble with having a really good sleep is, you're not awake to enjoy it!
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

We have developed a new after-school routine. Each of my 3 kids is expected to collect 20 dandelion heads before they come in. They cleared our gardens, front and back, in no time, and are now looking further afield but it won't be long before we get new flowers close to home. I know it isn't actually removing the plant but, the strain of keep having to produce flowers will weaken the ones we have.

I did life a big plant from under the outside tap, it had a good looking root on it and I got to thinking about using them. HFW did dandelion and burdock last year as I remember. We have a barrel free at the moment, I feel a brew coming on :-D
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Round Norfolk i think it probably has something to do with the Myxomatosis outbreak lasr year,nothing to eat them :!:
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

(f+ I think they look nice and brighten the place up (f+
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I agree Kate, I like them. But then again with the tribe we have running round on our grass (because we have the biggest one on the street so stepson's mates all come round to ours) the more robust the better (f+
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!