flowers on my tomatoes

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
saint-spoon

flowers on my tomatoes

Post by saint-spoon »

I’ve got six plantlets happily sitting in their growbags they’re at best six or seven inches tall and already I have a flower on the beefsteak variety. Obviously it’s way too soon to be thinking about fruits on these plants so should I just leave it to do whatever it’s going to do or do I nip it out? Any ideas.
Bah Humbug
silky
Longlasting Laner

Re: flowers on mt tomatoes

Post by silky »

I would nip them off. They are to near the base and the fruit will grow and their weight will force them to sit on the growbag were they will probably rot from the bottom upwards. I like my first truss to be about 18 inches of the ground.
Bok bok bok
Lively Laner

Re: flowers on my tomatoes

Post by Bok bok bok »

Glad you asked this question! My plants are onlt about 4 inches off the ground and have flowers too!

I'll go pinch them right now!

x
2 children, half a springer Spaniel, a Hamster, 2 Goldfish and an allotment. And a very excited, now mummy of some chickens again, Daisey, Dotty and Master Yoda!

A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion!
silky
Longlasting Laner

Re: flowers on mt tomatoes

Post by silky »

I also only allow 5 trusses on each plant. I believe that by keeping the number of fruits down, you get a better tomato.
teddymouse
Longlasting Laner

Post by teddymouse »

on the beefeat tomatoes you need to pinch out the leader flower,as it will grow deformed,and take the goodness from any other forming fruits.
angie
angie
why is it these days that common sense and common decency aren't that common?????
Bok bok bok
Lively Laner

Post by Bok bok bok »

Oooooh! Never knew that!
2 children, half a springer Spaniel, a Hamster, 2 Goldfish and an allotment. And a very excited, now mummy of some chickens again, Daisey, Dotty and Master Yoda!

A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion!
silky
Longlasting Laner

Post by silky »

TEDDYMOUSE wrote:on the beefeat tomatoes you need to pinch out the leader flower,as it will grow deformed,and take the goodness from any other forming fruits.
angie

Never heard of that. For those that are not sure about tomatoes, the following site is of great help.

http://www.letsgogardening.co.uk/Inform ... matoes.htm