Anyone make homemade wine from kits?

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
liskeardjane
Lively Laner

Anyone make homemade wine from kits?

Post by liskeardjane »

I want to do this soon - can anyone recommend a website where 'stuff' may be bought - there is the 'hop shop' near me in Plymouth - does anyone know it? is it as good as it looks? I have dozens of wine bottle all ready - can any one give any advice?

cheers

Liskeard
Trying to live a simpler life.
http://frugalincornwall.blogspot.com/
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Re: Anyone make homemade wine from kits?

Post by Bollybarb »

sorry no, but am going to watch yout thread with intrest as i got a whole pile of winemaking stuff off freecycle and it's sitting in my garage, another thing on my to do list!!
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
silky
Longlasting Laner

Post by silky »

Go to your local library and take out some book on winemaking.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I don't know if you have a Wilkinsons near you but they do winemaking kits.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Please do read up about it - wine-making is not complicated (kits are even more easy peasy), but it's worth reading up about it - and you'll learn about sterilizing equipment, what you'll need and lots of other things.

Wilkos sell fairly inexpensive cans of concentrate grape juice (named wine which usually include a sachet of yeast inside the can lid specific to that wine type) which are not bad for a one off trial and give you practice of what to expect - all it involves is following the instructions on the inside of the can label, which is basically diluting it down, into a demijohn with yeast and leave to ferment.

I wouldn't recommend buying "kits" - they are over priced for what they are and you can usually get all the various bits of kit that you'll need from other sources. Again, Wilkos usually stock most things for wine-making at a fraction of the cost most other home brew stores charge.
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

Once you get started you will be fine. I started with a kit, learnt more then made up my own stuff with whatever was going begging. I made some very interesting brews )c+ have fun.
Looove chucks!
jacquih
Longlasting Laner

Post by jacquih »

Dont buy the seven day wine from wilcos, we went on an ecomony drive after christmas and purchased this hoping for a result that would be cheap and save on the shopping bill, lets put it this way, we still have got loads of it left, hoping that with each month it will get better, it never seems to, it tastes ok at first, then burns all the way down, must be the preservitives, they use to clear the wine quickly, but after all this time, to me is still undrinkable, it would be probally be better to get the six week one and try that.
Jacquih
RichnRach
Learner Laner

Post by RichnRach »

I am watching this thread with great interest. Wine/beer making is something I have long fancied doing, but for no good reason have never tried. Off to the library Monday morning me thinks! )c(
i hated going to weddings. all the grandma,s would poke me and say "your next".
they stopped doing that when i started doing it to them at funerals.
norfolkgrog
Learner Laner

Post by norfolkgrog »

Wine kits are great for getting you started off, all you need is a demijohn, bung, and a bubbler, sterilizing powder, hydrometer to tell properly when the wine has finished fermenting, some bottles and some corks, kits normally have everything you need to make some OK wine, if you have wilkinson near you they have a reasonable stock of stuff to get you going.
mrsfoot
Lively Laner

Post by mrsfoot »

Ive just bought my first kit from www.brew-it-yourself.co.uk it is one that does very quick but i am now in the process of starting some rhubarb wine from scratch but finding it very difficult to find a recipe as they all seem to differ which is making it soooo confusing.
Emma, proud carer of five chickens Lil, Dot, nugget, henny and penny. two rats called bob and max, ten fish two kids and one husband.
Dave NE
Lively Laner

Post by Dave NE »

A lot of home made wines use raisins as a base and then you can add whatever you like for taste.
Heres a recipe for orange wine which i have never made before but it has a 5 star rating in the book, i have just started making a batch this afternoon.
20 fl oz/1/2 L of orange juice, i used Tropicana £ 1. 79 from Wilkinsons.
1lb/ 1/2 k raisins/sultanas, 67p from Morrisons.
2 1/4 lb/ 1.25 k sugar, its on special this week at Morrisons, £1.50 for 2 k.
3 ripe bananas.
1 tsp citric acid.
pectic enzyme.
Yeast.
Method, boil the bananas for 20 minutes in 1 pint of water, strain and lightly squeeze. Add the liquid to the orange juice and sugar which has been disolved in 2 pints of water, the minced raisins the citric acid and 2 further pints of water. When the liquid is 70 deg add the pectic enzyme and yeast and make up to 1 gallon. The liquid is placed in a covered bucket for 1 week and then strained and transfered to a demi john with an air lock.
I would be interested if any members use the recipe to comment on the outcome, cheers Dave
musicdaz73
Lively Laner

Post by musicdaz73 »

mal
Lively Laner

Post by mal »

The quick kits are awful but I've used the concentrates and they weren't too bad. They are better as a base for other fruit such as bramble, elder or blackcurrant. It's almost as easy to make wine from the raw ingredients anyway. I have a friend who makes the most amazing coffee wine. It comes out like Tia Maria.
My bottom garden's like Narnia without the mothballs. I go to pick beans for 5 minutes and when I come out hours have passed!

"Power to the People!" - Wolfie Smith
silverbass
Lively Laner

Post by silverbass »

mrsfoot wrote:Ive just bought my first kit from http://www.brew-it-yourself.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it is one that does very quick but i am now in the process of starting some rhubarb wine from scratch but finding it very difficult to find a recipe as they all seem to differ which is making it soooo confusing.

Just a word of warning: don't make rhubarb wine at this time of year, something to do with toxins in the rhubarb, best made in may :-D
Smile and the whole world smiles with you
Dave NE
Lively Laner

Post by Dave NE »

Strange but true i suppose, Its not good for people with arthritis, so i have read, Dave