My best kitchen gadget ever!

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Re: My best kitchen gadget ever!

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

We use this gadget a lot.

http://www.riceboy.org.uk/

Perfect rice every time. )t'
[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum
k66yla
Lively Laner

Post by k66yla »

At the moment my favourite gadget is my bread maker, making a cake in it at the moment. In the winter it has to be my slow cooker, I make loads of stew, chilli & liver,bacon, onion casserole(not all at the same time) in it then freeze them in separate containers then the kids can have a choice.
4c lady
Legendary Laner

Post by 4c lady »

For me its my slow cooker. As I do 2 jobs I only get breakfast and lunch so I do batch cooking and freeze portions for heating up in the microwave at work. At the moment ive got portions of curry, spaggi bol, morocan lamb, hot pot and a veggie stew made with one of those condensed soups and lots of veggies. I try to get as many veggies in each as possible to go towards my 5 fruit and veg a day. I love the fact that you just throw everything in and leave it to cook for 8 hours on low and its cheaper to run than a light bulb. Ive even used it to cook a whole chicken and it comes out lovely and moist.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Oh dear, :oops: I use the inner pot of my slow cooker as a plant pot holder, ha ha :razz:

Ilona
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

saint-spoon wrote:
kate egg wrote:it only cost about a tenner and it gets used for mixing yorkies, making cakes etc.

I'm sure that I heard somewhere that yorkies weren't in fact for girls.

Ah thats YORKIES not yorkies {rofwl}
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

Oooh I forgot about the slow cooker - I'm getting it out this week to do a quorn sausage casserole - not very summery but very slimming world friendly!
I also forgot to mention my chipper. Its one of the old-fashioned ones, you put a potato in and push a handle down, and the potato is pushed through a sharp metal grid and comes out the other end as chips :-D Its very cool, and makes doing healthy oven chips for allt he kids a lot easier.
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

My mum had a chipper years ago, never thought about using it to make the oven variety - excellent )t' I make these quite often and that would save a lotta choppin' :-D
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Actually, I know it's not technically a 'gadget' but my Rayburn is simply the best! It cooks, does the hot water and central heating, dries the clothes, lets me lean against it when I am cold or lift the lid to warm my frozen hands in winter. It radiates warmth and comfort 24/7.

Much better than a husband! :-D
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Sounds good, I could do with one of those, )c(

Ilona
teddymouse
Longlasting Laner

Post by teddymouse »

)ot: oh Helen,that is the one and only thing i miss,its wellcoming warm on a cold day,the stews in the 3 gl stewpot,that would last for days,the children and oh grabbing a bowl full as they came in from school and work,always at the right temp to do some cooking or baking,hot water for washing and baths. to sit in afireside chair reading a book or talking to friends as they would drop in for coffee,and the tosties you could make on the top plate were out of this world,yummyyyyyyyy.all this made up for the odd time when it would get a blowback and fill the room with smoke {rofwl} oh how i miss it. {cry} {cry} {cry}

angie
angie
why is it these days that common sense and common decency aren't that common?????
Lilo-Lil
Legendary Laner

Post by Lilo-Lil »

Someone else to do the washing up?

Seriously, the best thing for me is my food processor. It makes fab cakes and I use it so much, I wore the motor out on the old one!
Neutered pets are happy pets! Please spay or neuter your pets. There are thousands in rescue waiting for loving homes, and not enough people to take them on.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

p.penn wrote:Actually, I know it's not technically a 'gadget' but my Rayburn is simply the best! It cooks, does the hot water and central heating, dries the clothes, lets me lean against it when I am cold or lift the lid to warm my frozen hands in winter. It radiates warmth and comfort 24/7.

Much better than a husband! :-D

We nearly got one in our old house (until we saw the cost yike* ) how is yours fuelled? Does it cost a lot to run? I'm not sure I could cope with the kitchen being hot all the time or do you have a spare cooker so you can turn it off in the winter???? (And I still prefer my hubby to keep me warm :-D )
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Mine is oil so yes, it is costly to run. I guess it costs an average of around £20 a week plus 2 expensive services which actually is really 3 as there are 2 burners - one has to be serviced annually, one twice a year. I pay £110 a month to cover it all.

I don't have any other cooking except a microwave so it stays on all summer which is great as often it is wet and damp weather makes my house cold. I have hot water 24/7 as a by product of the cooker. The central heating burner is only on approx dec-mar.

Although I have only had mine 5 years or so, they don't make it any more. The new ones with heating are designed to be off unless you are using it, which to me, seems a shame.

An aga would be great too but no c.heating from them. They are up to temperature all the time (mine isn't and takes almost a couple of hours to heat up)
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

I love my everlastingly sharp knife. It was in a sale and was £2, I didn't really believe it would stay sharp, but it has. If it ever disappears I run round asking "where's the knife?" and my husband still asks "which one?"
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
aparker155
Lively Laner

Post by aparker155 »

p.penn wrote:Mine is oil so yes, it is costly to run. I guess it costs an average of around £20 a week plus 2 expensive services which actually is really 3 as there are 2 burners - one has to be serviced annually, one twice a year. I pay £110 a month to cover it all.

I don't have any other cooking except a microwave so it stays on all summer which is great as often it is wet and damp weather makes my house cold. I have hot water 24/7 as a by product of the cooker. The central heating burner is only on approx dec-mar.

Although I have only had mine 5 years or so, they don't make it any more. The new ones with heating are designed to be off unless you are using it, which to me, seems a shame.

An aga would be great too but no c.heating from them. They are up to temperature all the time (mine isn't and takes almost a couple of hours to heat up)

I have a 1972 coal fuelled aga which everyone keeps telling me to rip out - it is a bit unsightly in my otherwise brand new kitchen but I love it to bits!! It does the hot water and is good for cooking and a great bum warmer/clothes drier!!! I do have an electric oven and a hob so turn it off in the summer when my solar system does the hot water. It is fairly expensive to run but I don't really care it is definitely the heart of the home!!!