The cost of eating out

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Effie
Legendary Laner

Re: The cost of eating out

Post by Effie »

Oh, I forgot lime and soda, we had a frugal camping holiday three years ago and convinced all the kids it was the best drink ever )t'
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

When I'm designated driver I get a pint of backcurrant made with lemonade - usually come sin anywhere between 50p and £1. Not bad for a pint though when you consider how much a pint of coke or similar would cost.
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
liskeardjane
Lively Laner

Post by liskeardjane »

I go camping in France every other year and we used to eat out there when the pound had the advantage over the euro.....not going this year! we never eat out here, I can feed four of us including cats, dogs, cleaning stuff, loo paper the lot for £50 a week! four of us to eat out would cost that. I just don't do it! I had a party recently and fed ten people for under 10 quid for the night and they ate really well! I used to cater for a living and I know how they make massive money on food! cook at home, invite people round, take picnics, take a packed lunch. It's no treat if it leaves you short for the rest of the time :-D
Trying to live a simpler life.
http://frugalincornwall.blogspot.com/
mellonia
Longlasting Laner

Post by mellonia »

I love eating out its expensive though, i went for a meal with my friends we all just got a main meal and drinks you paid for you main meal at the bar, chicken au poire which was amazing like a fancy resturant and it was only 7.95, gorgeous chicken breast griddled with a spicy pepper sauce and scallop potatoes with roasted aubergine and peppers and onion, absolutely gorgeous. which i think is excellent value, i will go there again, we also like the chain nando's for a family meal or the local carvery, which is a fiver but you get loads and its really excellent. Needless to say we don't each out much as a family probably about once every two months. We do all tend to talk as well which i like.

regards

Mellonia
money talks but all mine ever says is goodbye
wendy

Post by wendy »

What is good now is there are many restaurants etc. who are doing vouchers. Two for one and that type of thing. Also many pubs now have any two dishes for £9.99 and that type of thing. Very handy. We often eat out at lunch time now.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

A local hotel is doing a 3-course meal for 2 people PLUS a bottle of wine for £35. If you consider you would pay £7 for the wine alone, that's only £14 per person for a REALLy good 3-course meal. Make for a great romantic night out LoL
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
LynneP
DTL Facebook Admin

Post by LynneP »

We found a restaurant last week that seves fish&chip dinners for less than we can buy the haddock ($7.99 Cdn, would be about three dollars UK, huge fillet or battered fish). Huge 'truckers' portions and they provide takeaway packets if you can't finish. I will not be cooking my own fish and chips while this deal lasts!
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all.
~Emily Dickinson

http://goldenhillsfarm.blogspot.com/201 ... -farm.html
bookbinder
Lively Laner

Post by bookbinder »

I do like having coffee in a nice coffee shop and yes it is expensive but I like to sit and chat with a friend and watch the world go by so I think it has great entertainment/relaxation value.

However, the other week in a local garden centre that has a lovely cafe that serves reaonably priced very nice "home made" food I asked for a can of coke for my husband....."Can I just point out" said the waitress "It is £1.99 per can" Ok, ok, I know places have overheads but £1.99 no thanks....
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

bookbinder wrote:
However, the other week in a local garden centre that has a lovely cafe that serves reaonably priced very nice "home made" food I asked for a can of coke for my husband....."Can I just point out" said the waitress "It is £1.99 per can" Ok, ok, I know places have overheads but £1.99 no thanks....

HOW MUCH yike* yike*

There are three Robins in this world, Robin redbreast, Robin Hood and your Garden centre (the robbing g*t$)

My local curry house has a banquet night, any starter any main course, any side dish and a choice of bread or rice. £11.50 but a large bottle of Cobra is about £4.50 so I go down the workies first and have a few beers and then go to the curry house )t'
[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum
wendy

Post by wendy »

Wow.... we can do better than that.
Our Indian restaurant's banquet night is 7.99 for the same and cobra £2.50.
It is beautiful food and has a very good reputation around here.
Wendy

foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

wendy wrote:Wow.... we can do better than that.
Our Indian restaurant's banquet night is 7.99 for the same and cobra £2.50.
It is beautiful food and has a very good reputation around here.
Wendy

Cobra comes in two sizes, the £4.50 bottle is around a pint in volume, there is a smaller bottle about a half pint which is normally about £2.50.

There are some Indian restaurants about here that offer a Sunday lunch buffet all you can eat deal for about £7/8 but to be honest I always think of curry as an evening meal and would not normally eat one at lunch time.

I had the good fortune to get a free trip to Delhi last year and stayed in a five star hotel (free) and I had curry for breakfast (most days), lunch and dinner for about 6 days. The food was absolutely top notch and as cheap as you like.

This is one of the restaurants we used.

http://www.punjabibynature.in/

wendy

Post by wendy »

I love Indian food.
This week end we are going to our friends sons wedding. They are Sikh.
Saturday is the actual wedding and Sunday is the reception.
We went to their Daughters about 3 years ago, wonderful occasion. Now it is Davinders turn.
We are looking forward to all of it. Particularly the food !
Wendy

foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

I am jealous, lots of good food to be tasted )t' Enjoy :-D envy}}

I'm going to have to make a curry tonight now (or maybe get a takeaway) a biriani perhaps, chicken tikka biriani with a naan and a couple of bottles of IPA. Yep that will hit the spot )eat( )lck(