Pease pudding

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
ma larkin
Legendary Laner

Pease pudding

Post by ma larkin »

Does anyone have a good recipe for Pease Pudding? I have soaked a load of yellow split peas and would like to do something with them!

Ma Larkin >mmm<
Effie
Legendary Laner

Re: Pease pudding

Post by Effie »

my step-grandma is from the north-east and makes amazing pease pudding. I'll try to get some info for you but it might take a while.

I know she usually used a ham joint, on the bone for better flavour. A meal that would stick to your ribs, pease pudding spread on a stotty )eat(
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I have never tried it, but according to the rhyme, some like it 9 days old!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
poppydog66
Legendary Laner

Post by poppydog66 »

My nan used to make lovely pease pudding, I d love to be able to make it! Might have a bash if someone can find the recipe! :-D
manda

Post by manda »

pease pudding spread on a stotty

Heaven )t'
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Dave NE
Lively Laner

Post by Dave NE »

Hi Ma, place the split peas into a double thickness of muslin and tie the four corners with string, use a bow knot as this will make life easier later on, leave plenty of room in the bag for the peas to swell. Place the bag into a large pot with a ham shank, i remove most of the fat to try and cut down on my wasteline, some hope! Add water and boil for about 2 hours if you can wait that long. Serve hot or cold with some of the meat and some crusty bread, heaven. Some people flake some of the meat and mix it with the peas pudding which is also delicious, enjoy Dave NE
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Wow. That sounds yummy yummy. What's a ham shank - I guess I would need a butcher for that? Would it be pricey?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
kattcollins
Legendary Laner

Post by kattcollins »

I always wondered what pease pudding was. It sounds lovely and wholesome :-D
ma larkin
Legendary Laner

Post by ma larkin »

Dave NE wrote:Hi Ma, place the split peas into a double thickness of muslin and tie the four corners with string, use a bow knot as this will make life easier later on, leave plenty of room in the bag for the peas to swell. Place the bag into a large pot with a ham shank, i remove most of the fat to try and cut down on my wasteline, some hope! Add water and boil for about 2 hours if you can wait that long. Serve hot or cold with some of the meat and some crusty bread, heaven. Some people flake some of the meat and mix it with the peas pudding which is also delicious, enjoy Dave NE

Thank you Dave! I will give it a go. I made up the last one as I went along. It was fine, but a bit dry!

Ma Larkin
Dave NE
Lively Laner

Post by Dave NE »

No probs Ma, hope it goes well for you, if it is too dry (and it can be) just add a little water and use a potatoe masher to mix it till its the way you like it. Someone mentioned a ham shank, you can also use bacon off cuts that some butchers/supermarkets sell of cheap, just bought 6 packs at Morrisons, great for soups/stews and one of my favourites, egg and bacon plate pie but thats another story, cheers Dave NE