pressure cookers (feel free to make daft comments Perchy)

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
saint-spoon

Re: pressure cookers (feel free to make daft comments Perchy

Post by saint-spoon »

p.penn wrote:Although I have never used one, I have always perceived them as some type of bomb. >dowhat<

were you bored last night by any chance Penn? We were in danger of having more than three sensible posts on the trot :b(
Bah Humbug
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

No, not bored, more informative I thought. )grin2(
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Did you get a pressure cooker in the end Spoony?
I dug mine out yesterday & have used it to cook chick peas this morning - they'd been soaked overnight, this morning I rinsed them & put in the pressure cooker with enough water to cover them - brought up to pressure & then cooked for 15 minutes. So easy, so quick - could probably knock off a couple of minutes to be honest. I can't believe I've been boiling beans for hours!
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

LittleBrownFrog wrote:I can't believe I've been boiling beans for hours!

Same here. The beauty of this forum is that it gives us new ideas and reminds us things we had forgotten. We used our pressure cooker for years when we had 4 kids and often loads of people round for Sunday lunch. Just popped the veg in the pressure cooker and one less thing to think about. Then the pressure cooker ended up on top of the cupboards for 10 years till I dug our out bought a new rubber seal and have sinced used it once a week to cook dried beans.
Michael
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

My auntie used to use hers for cooking cheap joints of meat and/or (sshhh!) old boiler chickens with the veg at the bottom, kind of like a pressurised pot roast. Economical to buy and cook.

There, that was sensible. But it's not as funny as the others, is it?!